Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

Re: Whatchya Playin' - Brand New Digs Edition

by Beige » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:33 pm

Call of the wild. Behold.

User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:21 pm

I love the Dyatlov Pass mystery, but the growing evidence for it being makes me enjoy the more paranormal theories even more, like a fine glass of port in the drawing room.

Games like this make me wish we had more titles that dealt with crazy mysteries of the real world. Kholat is a good example, however far it takes the scenario. Taman Shud. Isdal Woman. Woomera Rocket Range sightings, even debunked gear like the Cumberland Spaceman. Give me Rendelsham Forest and RAF Bentwaters. Belgian UFO Wave - which my glacial VN project uses as a jumping off-point. There's such a rich catalogue of bizarre fare that would do well to be chocked into small, self-contained episodes of high strangeness.

That'd be ace.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:06 pm

Took a break from gaming for a bit because I knew one game would potentially occupy the rest of the season for me. There will probably be a separate thread. For now, I'll just direct you to a quick write-up of why I actually care about this game amid all the hype and controversy: https://noplatform.wordpress.com/2015/1 ... fallout-4/
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:09 pm

I'm taking the Bowley approach to Fallout 4. Play GOTY this year, NEXT year! Let the mod machine have enough time to chew on it.

I forsee Trails in the Sky part Deux in my immediate future, as well as Witcher 3 DLC over the holidays.

Currently Lynette and I are enjoying Renowned Explorers way more than we have any right to. This game came out of nowhere in the last week to completely dominate my evenings -- when I'm not running around with a badass moustache shooting steampunk guns in The Order: 1866.

Curious about The Order ever since the Internet started shitting all over it for Reasons sometime last year. I'm 75% finished it and I have absolutely no idea where all the annoyance comes from. This thing is a labor of love front to back, looks gorgeous, plays a treat. Cool world, if somewhat silly. Everybody is SUPER SERIOUS and talks in the British Thea-TAH Final Fantasy XII voice constantly, but also randomly werewolves outa nowhere.

Best airship realization I've ever walked through in a video game. I could stand there for hours just looking at the specular reflection off brass barometers and polished walnut gunstocks.
User

RedSwirl

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:41 pm

Back on the sci-fi set design discussion, I can't believe I forgot about what I think is actually a pretty good example of Apple-era art design: Oblivion.

I don't know what other people think of that movie but I found it to be a quite watchable new exercise in old school plot-twist-driven sci-fi. The tech Tom Cruise has access to in that movie has the kind of consistent feel to it I feel has been missing from almost every sci-fi movie and other visual production since around 1988. It is sleek and relatively simple but purposes that sleekness towards a vision and achieves it.

Anyway, Fallout 4 of course is thoroughly taking me back to full-blown retro-futurism. I'm not that far, but I'm hearing people say Bethesda went and made a cyberpunk Fallout instead of a western Fallout. We'll see if that pans out...
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:39 pm

Starcraft... is now... over, and I do mean OVER. You can stick a fork in the Jimmy Raynor, Kerrigan, and Zeratul funtime show. There's Nova DLC missions coming out next year, and I highly doubt that this is the last from the Starcraft universe, but the curtains have dropped on all that stuff that started in 1998.

I'm here to tell you that the campaign was incredibly fun and challenging, just like WoL and HotS, there are some cool moments during the campaign, but the conclusion to the story, however, was... silly, and ultimately unsatisfying. Even though you haven't played it yet, you've seen it before a million times. It's not bad, but it's not exciting, in the way that Tassadar blowing up the Overmind was. There's also a distinct lack of big, expensive CG for the ending, which is disappointing in and of itself, they ALWAYS do that, what happened?

I can't deny that I'm older and that I have more expectations for my entertainment, and it's true that their stuff has always been derivative and silly, but still... Blizzard has lost an edge, and that has been obvious since Diablo 3 hammed it up and it was further hammered home with Starcraft 2's final act. Their products are very, very enjoyable and fun, but unexciting from a narrative standpoint.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:14 pm

Fallout 4 has struck me that it provides the salient features of the fallout universe, but has evolved into a new beast for better or worse. Decidedly RPG light this time around, but oodles more immersive. The new level up system is controversial. All said though, it's full of cool stuff. Maybe though I just want fallout to be a little more Deus Ex and less Elder Scrolls. I feel the sandbox, but I really want tighter scenarios. I loved the originals, and liked a where new Vegas was taking factions. Don't see the same kinds of depth, but detail has penetrated other areas. It is a fun game, but will it live on in my mind?
User

RedSwirl

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:44 am

People have been saying that about Fallout 4 now that everyone's rounding the 50-hour mark, myself included. If I had the time to photoshop one of those "What I Played, What I Expected, What I Got" images, I would.

What I Expected:
Skyrim 2, with guns.

What I Got:
Borderlands 3 and/or Diet STALKER.

I don't know if I ever talked about it here, I probably did, but when I "wrapped up" Skyrim, I decided that its major issue was it tried to be simultaneously a dungeon loot game and role-playing sandbox, and that it was much better at the latter. Or at least Bethesda was better at providing the latter than any other developer in the AAA space aside form Obsidian whenever it gets its hands on a decent budget. Fallout 4 is mostly concerned with being the former. I feel like I'm playing a first person Diablo-a-like with guns. Except... Bethesda actually got good at providing that kind of game now?

Here it is: Fallout 4 combat is precisely what Bioshock combat should have been. The sandbox is still there, it's just mostly a sandbox about shooting things. Some people are calling it Destiny-done-right but I haven't played Destiny beyond the beta so I don't know. To me it feels somewhere between Bioshock and System Shock 2 actually in terms of the inner workings (though with a much friendlier resource balance). My only problem with how that turned out is that Fallout 4's main story is extremely mismatched with what the rest of the game wants you to do, even moreso than most open-world RPGs. You can't escape the fact that your spouse was recently murdered and your infant son kidnapped. It's tough to role play around that.

Anyway, started up Elite Dangerous. I'll probably do a whole other thread on that one depending on what happens in my space exploration adventures.
User

RedSwirl

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:05 pm

So... where does Elite Dangerous talk go?
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:56 pm

Anywhere, everywhere. Each key press is a blip on the cardiogram. It's been a little too quiet around here of late.
PreviousNext