Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

Re: Whatchya Playin' - Brand New Digs Edition

by Beige » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:07 pm

Heads up Squad: Here is what you should be playing multiplayer this weekend.

http://kotaku.com/xcom-the-board-game-w ... 1682732891

It's the XCOM board game -- released at last -- which I contributed to as a playtester and idea-pinger-offer during the course of its development. It's hella XCOM, trust me.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:37 pm

Beige wrote:Heads up Squad: Here is what you should be playing multiplayer this weekend.

http://kotaku.com/xcom-the-board-game-w ... 1682732891

It's the XCOM board game -- released at last -- which I contributed to as a playtester and idea-pinger-offer during the course of its development. It's hella XCOM, trust me.

I hate everything about everything you wrote here.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Beige » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:15 pm

Why?
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Beige » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:24 pm

Also, here is an XCOM review from someone who has no context for the video game. Interesting.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1274633 ... p-revealed
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:33 pm

Beige wrote:Why?

Wow, my last post sounded mean as hell. Sorry about that. I should have used a big grin smiley or something like that to convey that it looks interesting, and I want to stay far the hell away from it.

Basically, it's a perfect storm of things that Calin doesn't like. It's all about strategy and has smartphone integration, and both of those things are anathema to me. Though, I do hope that you will tell us about it if you end up playing it with some squaddies.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:19 am

Hello friends. I'll excuse Calin's displeasure at strategy and - given the casual gig at Pocket Tactics - something-something-smartphone because he's a stand-up gent and a tower of smarts. No flippancy.

Going to dump a few links to my adventures in Early Access land and whatnot here, just if you're interested in perusing further:

Besiege

Wrote a spiel on this one just before she deployed on Steam. Meagre asking price for such a physics toybox. Usually, I don't care much for these block-builders, but the tech is very scalable and the Crossbows and Catapults element of crafting da Vinci-esque siege machines - wheeled, immobile, walking or even flying - is a breeze. A game where the failures are as satisfying as the successes.

Distance

If I were to sell Beige a racing game that appealed to his flagellant sensibilities, it would be Distance. It's a fantastic puzzle-racer of sorts, one that involves flying, jumping, rotating and, in certain levels, gimbal-thrusting through zero-G environments like the Apollo capsule. It's not singularly grueling like a Meatboy, where critical pathing is key, but still retains insane track obstacles like scything mega-lasers that sheer your vehicle in half (not kill, in some instances), spinning turbines and saws, omnipotent AI overlords playing with reality during races...she's fast and fun and is a perfect sequel to Nitronic Rush. Looks amazing, sounds amazing.

Reassembly

You can't throw a shard of moldavite without hitting a top-down spaceship game these days, but Reassembly is pretty awesome. It features one of the most...I don't know...living worlds I've seen this side of STALKER or Space Rangers. Think an aesthetic blend of Eufloria and Kenta Cho's shmups, with a slippery Newtonian world to skid and slough around in. Again, I don't go for ship creation in most games, but here, you can build self-sufficient fleets to further your faction's stomping grounds. Craft factory or mining ships, ones that spawn their own wings of defense fighters. Command and delegate to a fleet of missile frigates, whose blueprints you've crafted yourself. Untold possibilities with a degree of autonomy, it feels like a strange petri dish of amoebae vying for dominion. Really fascinating stuff.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:12 am

*Googles the words "Pocket Tactics"*

WHAAAAT?!

Places like this make me wish more "main" gaming websites would take a bit more effort to cover mobile games that weren't manufactured to harvest casual consumers and whale their way up the charts. I want to see developers take a chance with niche audiences on mobile, it's just that I'm not sure the channels that speak to those niches have started taking notice yet. The other problem I have is too many of these good-looking strategy games are iPad-only. Maybe the 6 Plus hasn't been out long enough. Maybe when the phablet-model iPhone sets in as a standard thing people will start making those kinds of games for it.

The bigger problem at had though is... I actually have an iOS backlog. It's a pretty ridiculous one too, only exacerbated by the occasional game on my wish list that goes free for a day.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:02 am

Pocket Tactics is the RPS of mobile and tablet gaming. Sharp wit and suffering no freemium fools.

Gentrification of the mobile space happened when Battle Academy hit iPad, in my opinion. And I figure the reason many of these games feature only on iPad is simply a question of screen real estate.

That said, iOS and Android are fine platforms with a deluge of smart and creative offerings, just as long as you've got friends to help you pick the gems from the turds.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:44 pm

Alex Connolly wrote:Pocket Tactics is the RPS of mobile and tablet gaming. Sharp wit and suffering no freemium fools.

Gentrification of the mobile space happened when Battle Academy hit iPad, in my opinion. And I figure the reason many of these games feature only on iPad is simply a question of screen real estate.

That said, iOS and Android are fine platforms with a deluge of smart and creative offerings, just as long as you've got friends to help you pick the gems from the turds.

The 6 Plus has enough screen real estate. Trust me. I think it just hasn't been out long enough for developers to adjust to it. I pretty much haven't used my iPad since getting one and will probably end up giving the thing away. It would suck for that to lock me out of some games.

Eh. After recent developments I'm actually waiting for mobile Windows gaming to start evolving. We're in the beginning stages. I can feel it. There are videos of $99 Windows tablets running Crysis and actually getting 30fps. These things can run the PC version of Skyrim with nearly the same performance as the 360 version. Hell, Intel's coming out with a $150 HDMI stick that runs Windows. Just plain Windows. If some PC developers started tailoring games to these things I think we could have some kind of "real enthusiast mobile gaming" going on here.

My holy grail is this: A Vita-sized machine with its own buttons that runs either Windows or Linux, on which I can install Steam and play Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, FTL, or Civ V (in strategy mode) without having to re-buy those games for Vita or a tablet. I'm just wondering if we can get there in two or three years.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:53 am

I don't think developers and pubs like Slitherine - the bearded folk driving the gentrification of the mobile space with their refreshing insistance on premium pricing - are willing to reconfigure many of their products for a smaller screen, regardless of how impressive the screen size of a 6 is. Especially with Grigsby-style wargames rolling off the production line. That said, I wouldn't say no to any Shenandoah games hitting my phone, rather than my tablet.

I agree with you on Windows tablets, though! Windows 8 was very much ahead of its time, for all its faults. Intel's Cherry Trail should do wonders for the windows tablet scene.

As an aside, I wish Steam had proper touch support on PC. So cumbersome to navigate with a touch screen.
PreviousNext