Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

Re: Whatchya Playin' - Brand New Digs Edition

by Beige » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:45 pm

Hey Pete, something new for you. You got your hentai in my bejewelled?
http://kotaku.com/i-need-a-little-more- ... 1680813787
User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

by Raven2785 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:34 am

RedSwirl wrote:Completed Saints Row IV. I originally wasn't planning to bother with it at all after The Third, but after trying out enough of it on the Steam free weekend I said "whatever," at that $5 price. That's exactly how I got into The Third in the first place.

If you look back a page you'll see my post in The Third. SR4 is basically that taken to its ultimate logical conclusion, and probably a bit beyond it too. What it gains in additional insanity and potentially fun game mechanics it loses in focus, its fun feeling much less uniform.

I didn't play any Saints Row before The Third, but from what I understand it started off as a mediocre GTA ripoff and the franchise slowly started to realize it needed to break off the chains of the GTA formula and its seriousness. The Third is the game that did this once and for all, becoming a much looser take on GTA's caricature of America and in my opinion much less frustrating mechanically, though still outdone by GTA V's technological leap forward. SR4 is kind of a parody of... everything I guess, or maybe just Volition throwing in everything they wanted to before, knowing it was their last game before the big company shakeup.

Volition did this by basically throwing in Crackdown and Prototype-style super powers that let you completely tear the city apart. I'm not sure however if they knew what to do with those powers. All the challenges balanced around them basically feel like they belong in a different video game, and they're a mixed bag in terms of fun. I'm actually having the most fun when I'm choosing not to use my powers and doing regular GTA/Saints Row stuff.

Still, SR4 is in my opinion a successful parody of... things. The narrative contains clever humor. In the midst of how much the game wants to have fun it even manages to make time for functioning character development.

Honestly though, I wish Volition had put that creative energy into Red Faction Guerrilla 2.

I side on the other side of the spectrum, I loved what they've done with IV.

They got rid of whatever allusions to a coherent story and gave me exactly what I wanted from a Saint Row game, which is being able to mind-toss innocent civilians into the air, Team Rocket style. Gameplay has always been the forte of Volition and storytelling their weakest, so I am glad to see them use their talent appropiately instead of taking itself seriously and shooting for the starts with a Volkswagen Beetle. Some of the loyalty missions have some story and they're very funny too (The one poking fun at fanfiction culture had me in stiches) but they're the same excuse-plots we've seen before, in the end the plot of saints Row is about as emotionally deep as a rain puddle.

It might be because I played thru the whole game with a friend and we were just derping our way thru the game before we found out that we did everything, then proceeded to derp around some more.

The only thing I know now is that I do not know how I'll ever play another open-world game again without yearning for my ability to glide from building to building like a human-sized flying squirrel.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:26 pm

Despite having Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age inquisition to finish slowly and gracefully, I have been scouting out some of the most interesting of multiplayer mods. I am entertaining the idea of hosting a gigantic LAN party in my new basement, but I am no longer simply interested in the classics which have become LAN party staples. I have been looking for weird, dead, multiplayer mods that can only be revived in a LAN setting. To this end I have installed 'Insects Infestation' a mod for HL2 that seems unlike pretty well anything I have played thus far. I think I was inspired by the last LAN I had where 'The Ship' was busted out, and generally hailed as a unique game people weren't expecting. I have spent lotsa time with Worms, UT, Counterstrike, and Age of Empires.... its time for something craaazy. If anyone remembers any obscure dead mods that are worth mentioning, please do tell.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

428: Shibuya Scramble, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition

by Angry Jedi » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:33 pm

Hello! Sorry I haven't been around much. I can't browse this site on my computer at work (stupid corporate blockbot) and posting from mobile is... not an optimal experience when you have fat fingers like me. But regardless! Let's talk about stuff.

Beige mentioned HuniePop above, and of course I've been playing it. I actually Kickstarted it way back when it was first propositioned (pun fully intended and apologised for) as I'm all for Western peeps taking a stab at a traditionally Japanese genre: in this case, the dating sim. Originally, it looked as if it would be a fairly conventional visual novel, but then they revealed the puzzle gameplay.

I won't lie: initially I was disappointed. I'm a fan of straight visual novels, as they have the capacity to explore themes and plotlines that you simply don't get when you have to worry about shoehorning in "traditional gameplay", so I was hoping that HuniePop would play it straight. It was not to be, however, and since I'd already thrown my money at it, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Now it's here... well, it's actually a hell of a lot of fun. There's little to no narrative to speak of outside a brief introduction to each of the game's twelve dateable girls (three of whom are "secret") where they talk to (or, in a couple of cases, yell at) each other. Despite this, each of them has a distinct personality that is reflected in both their dialogue and the gameplay. Doubtless everyone will have a "favourite", but it's interesting to note that despite the game's anime-inspired aesthetic, the writing is very "Western". That means characters more than happy to drop the F-bomb and talk about punching you in the dick (assuming you're playing as a dude, because you can also play as a lady who loves ladies) when they get too hungry.

Gameplay is split into two distinct components: the dating sim aspect and the puzzle game. The dating sim portion is where you move from location to location and interact with the girls. You have a few options on this front.

Firstly, you can talk with them, which will usually either challenge you to remember a detail about them or offer you the opportunity to ask them a question, but which will also occasionally ask you a question that you need to answer in the way you think the girl will like according to her personality. Talking to her and giving appropriate responses will reward you with "Hunie", which is essentially a bank of experience points you can use to power up various personality traits: romance, sexuality, talent, flirtatiousness, passion and something else that slips my mind.

Secondly, you can give them gifts. Giving them just straight presents will reward you with additional Hunie, particularly if you give them something they like, and you'll also often get presents in return, which in turn can be used in the puzzle game section. Giving them "unique" presents will give you a permanent bonus to the Hunie you obtain through talking to them. Giving them food allows you to talk to them for longer, because none of them will do anything on an empty stomach. And plying them with alcohol also provides a bonus to Hunie gain -- though each girl has her own individual tolerance level, and rather than allow you to take advantage of her will simply bugger off home if she gets too pissed-up.

The puzzle game section is more like Puzzle and Dragons than Bejeweled in that you're not swapping adjacent gems, you're picking up a gem and moving it anywhere in the same row or column, with the other gems shifting around accordingly. This allows for a slow, thoughtful and strategic game rather than the "MATCH ALL THE GEMS!" joy of Bejeweled's relatively fast pace -- which is good, as in each puzzle you only have a limited number of moves with which to attain a particular target score to raise your chosen paramour's affection level.

Here's where the stats come in: each girl has a "favourite" gem, representing her dominant personality trait, and a "least favourite" gem, representing something she generally doesn't go in for. Matching her favourite gems is worth considerably more points on the target score meter, but by levelling up your stats you can increase this gain even further. Further twists are added through "Passion" tokens, which increase the multiplier on points gain regardless of what you match, "broken heart" tokens, which give you a score penalty, and "Joy" tokens, which give you an extra turn.

The gifts you sometimes get in exchange for giving the girls things they like can be used on these "date" puzzles, too, but in order to use them you'll need to match teardrop-shaped "sentiment" tokens, at which point you'll be able to use their special abilities, be it turning all the "broken heart" tokens into "passion" tokens, immediately consuming (and scoring) all gems of a particular colour, or providing other bonuses.

There's apparently some sort of twist on the puzzle gameplay when you do eventually get the girls into bed -- your target is to give them a big "O" rather than make them like you more -- but I haven't managed to get that far with any of them yet, though a few of them have already sent me some saucy pictures.

HuniePop knows what it is and is amusingly self-aware throughout. The dialogue and voice acting is cheesy, but you get the impression everyone involved is in on the joke and is having a bit of fun. It's genuinely amusing, silly, cheeky, lewd, crude and rude, and I'm surprised it's come out as well as it has. It's by no means a classic game, nor does it provide even the slightest hint of a thought-provoking narrative, but what it is is a whole lot of fun.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:04 pm

Hey, check it out. I actually played a game for (I think) the first time in 2015.

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to complete all of the games I owned on disc for the 360 and PS3. I get enough good, free stuff through PSN that actually completing all of it is probably not ever going to happen, but I think I can probably cross all of the disc stuff off the list.

I have three games in progress currently: Ni no Kuni, Mass Effect 3, and Bayonetta.

This weekend I sat down and played about four hours of Mass Effect 3. I had started it a few months ago but got sidetracked with real life, so this was an opportunity for me to pick it back up.

I actually hadn't played ME3 until last year, and it's one of those games that I know more by reputation than anything else. I know that gamers got all pissy over the ending and lobbied to have it changed, and I know that there was a patch released that did just that. I don't quite know what the ending entails, however, and I've managed to remain unspoiled on some of the bigger moments in this game.

Yesterday, I hit one of those big spoiler moments. I was doing missions in the Krogan DZ, and I get one to
Spoiler: show
cure the genophage
. Awesome! I have followed this thread through three games at this point, and it's time to see it through to the end. This was a great moment, and it had a lot of emotional payoff.
I always loved Wrex, so the idea of sabotaging the cure was a non starter. I told that speciesest Salarian to take a hike and cured the hell out of the genophage. More Krogans means more people to fight the Reapers. Though, tears were definitely spilled when Mordin bit the dust.

I also went back to the Citadel to
do the mission where Cerberus invades. Given that I spent all of ME2 fawning all over Thane and how dreamy he is, I wasn't super excited to find out that my terminally ill lover gets stabbed in the chest while helping me out. I am pretty sure he's going to die, and I'm going to be super sad.

Looking forward to playing some more tonight.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:39 am

Something happened man.

After finishing SR4 I decided to not start Call of Pripyat until this situation with my floor got figured out (requiring the dismantling of my game setup) so I ended up playing a game I haven't played in a stupidly long time.

The game is called "Read A Book." It took me a while to get back into the swing of it. I honestly never played the game quite enough to get as good at it as some people, but it's starting to occupy most of my free time now. It's pretty engaging, and actually runs surprisingly well on an iPhone 6 Plus.
User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

by Raven2785 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:49 pm

I've played this game before, from what people tell me they haven't changed that much graphically, but the stories, the tales being told are now even stronger even though the casuals are ruining it for us (I mean seriously? who wants to play a book about vampires? or prepubecent magicians? or BDSM?)

I'ts been a while since I've played one, it might be time to get one, but it's always so daunting how many iterations it's had over the years, I don't even know where to start! I don't wanna spoil myself, or worse.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:07 pm

Raven2785 wrote:I've played this game before, from what people tell me they haven't changed that much graphically, but the stories, the tales being told are now even stronger even though the casuals are ruining it for us (I mean seriously? who wants to play a book about vampires? or prepubecent magicians? or BDSM?)

I'ts been a while since I've played one, it might be time to get one, but it's always so daunting how many iterations it's had over the years, I don't even know where to start! I don't wanna spoil myself, or worse.

Well really I'm just continuing the stuff I got off a Humble Bundle a while ago. I remember it showed up the morning I was leaving for a six-hour road trip so it was perfect. No DRM either meant I could read it on my favorite book-reading software.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:55 pm

I'm playing a book about Anonymous at the moment: Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy. It's a good read, assuming you want a detailed ethnography of Anonymous from the inside. The prose is breezy and Biella does a good job of recounting what was happening in Anonymous and Chan culture during phases like the Snowden leaks and the Arab Spring. Doubly interesting since one of its principal characters (Barret Brown) is currently making headlines. Interviews transcribed directly from weev are a trip.

Really interesting to me to note just how far my opinions regarding Anonymous and the concept of the nameless vigilante mob have shifted over the last 6 months though. Biella has clearly Gone Native as an embedded reporter - she's not very impartial, though she does a reasonable job for an anthropologist.

There's definitely a pre-GamerGate and post-GamerGate phase of my worldview. The Guy Fawkes mask was once on the shelf next to the graven image of Ananzi the Trickster, now it's a lot closer to the Joker. Chaotic Neutral is Chaotic Neutral. Rosy glasses no more. Not sure Biella sees things my way.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:03 am

Beige wrote:I'm playing a book about Anonymous at the moment: Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy. It's a good read, assuming you want a detailed ethnography.

Got this book for Christmas, mainly cuz I wrote me a substantially less comprehensive ethnography of anonymous about 2 years ago, and my mom actually got interested in what I was doing for once and was spot on. It gives a lot of relevant context, I have really enjoyed it.

I guess the last book I read was George Orwell's animal farm about a month ago. One of those books I really should have read a long time ago. Provokes some chin scrstching
PreviousNext