Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: Whatchya Playin' - Brand New Digs Edition

by Alex Connolly » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:47 am

Don't be so quick to dismiss DotE, Red old chap. It is definitely about towers and defense, but it sidesteps any TD ennui with aplomb. Fantastic game.

I generally hate TD, too.
User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

by Raven2785 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:02 am

Beige wrote:+1 for the necessity of the WiiU. I heard it referred to recently as "the only mandatory console of this generation" which in 2014 is apt.

Steam + WiiU and you're good. Captain Toad is weirdly up there on my Christmas List. 150 hours (!) in Monster Hunter says hello. Bayo 2, Future things along the Zelda and X lines. Smash Bros. It's what's for dinner.

I am almost to this point due to a small rule I have about new consoles.

Rule is simple: any new console I buy has to have 5 unique/exclusive games I want to play on it.

Scores are not very good for the next-gen offerings, Xbone only has one (Sunset Overdrive) same with PS4 (Infamous: Second Son)

Ad in the fact that I built my first PC recently and a few Steam sales later and I am already doing most of my gaming on PC with my PS3 and MY 360 collecting dust. Under this rule, Wii U is currently in the lead with Pikmin, Smash, and Wind Waker (that while I have already played, I want to get into it soo bad again I have it count as a 0.5) Which is Ironic, considering I first came up with the rule when I got so badly burned when I bought a Gamecube at launch and realized that at the end of it's life cycle I had only truly enjoyed 5 games on it.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:25 am

Raven2785 wrote:
Beige wrote:+1 for the necessity of the WiiU. I heard it referred to recently as "the only mandatory console of this generation" which in 2014 is apt.

Steam + WiiU and you're good. Captain Toad is weirdly up there on my Christmas List. 150 hours (!) in Monster Hunter says hello. Bayo 2, Future things along the Zelda and X lines. Smash Bros. It's what's for dinner.

I am almost to this point due to a small rule I have about new consoles.

Rule is simple: any new console I buy has to have 5 unique/exclusive games I want to play on it.

Scores are not very good for the next-gen offerings, Xbone only has one (Sunset Overdrive) same with PS4 (Infamous: Second Son)

Ad in the fact that I built my first PC recently and a few Steam sales later and I am already doing most of my gaming on PC with my PS3 and MY 360 collecting dust. Under this rule, Wii U is currently in the lead with Pikmin, Smash, and Wind Waker (that while I have already played, I want to get into it soo bad again I have it count as a 0.5) Which is Ironic, considering I first came up with the rule when I got so badly burned when I bought a Gamecube at launch and realized that at the end of it's life cycle I had only truly enjoyed 5 games on it.

My rule is similar: I don't truly start to judge a console until it's about a year old, or after its first holiday season after launch. If you look back, that's when almost every console has hit its first major stride.

The PS2 is the biggest example. Its launch in 2000 was eh, but between October 2001 and the end of that year it got Devil May Cry, Silent Hill 2, Ace Combat 4, GTA 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Final Fantasy X. The original Xbox in 2002 got Jet Set Radio Future, the initial release of Splinter Cell 1, Morrowind, and Arx Fatalis. The Gamecube got Metroid Prime 1, Eternal Darkness, and Super Mario Sunshine. All the consoles in 2002 got Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Tony Hawk 4, Jedi Knight II, and Hot Pursuit 2. Look at last gen: The Xbox 360 started eh but in 2006 got Oblivion, Gears, Dead Rising, Fight Night 3, Lost Planet (well I like that game), and Prey. And then you have 2007 -- one year after the PS3 and Wii's launch which brought us Mass Effect, Modern Warfare, Portal, Team Fortress 2, HL2 Episode Two, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Bioshock, Halo 3, Uncharted 1, The Darkness, Crackdown, Assassin's Creed, etc. It always takes that first year for consoles to get the ball rolling. Very few consoles get even one truly excellent game at launch, and most of the time it's just one. The Dreamcast was an anomaly partly caused by SEGA's decision to push back the western launch by a year, essentially putting it in that "one year later when the games are ready" period.

Problem is, the PS4 and Xbox One are taking a little longer. The original plan was for that first wave of substantial next-gen games: AC Unity, Batman Arkham Knight, Witcher 3, EVOLVE, and COD Advance Warfare to all round out this fall. Out of those only COD and AC made it and AC met with heavy criticism. People really like DA Inquisition, you got Far Cry 4, you got Evil Within, and you got Alien Isolation, but every single one of those games is cross-generation and isn't really forcing the masses to finally upgrade. The real software for this new generation is going to finally start unfurling in slow motion over the first half of 2015.
Last edited by RedSwirl on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:10 pm

I don't have much of an interest in getting into the new console generation, but it does seem like it's taking a bit longer than usual.

One of the things for me is that this year I built a computer that's more powerful and can push out better graphics than either the Xbone or the PS4. I know that a dev team will come along that gets a lot out of the systems (like Shadow of the Colossus did on the PS2), but I like being able to just fire up Steam when I want to play Far Cry 4 or whatever.

Though, all of this now said, I am sure that once the PS4 Uncharted game comes out I will come home from work one day and find my wife playing it with a new PS4 pushing our 360 out of the way. I can almost guarantee this, actually...
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

428: Shibuya Scramble, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition

by Angry Jedi » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:56 pm

I'll echo the next-gen thoughts. Of the three new consoles, the only one with anything vaguely interesting on it -- stuff that you can't play elsewhere -- is the Wii U. You may not be into Nintendo games and that's cool, but there's plenty of really interesting third-party stuff, too, and more coming down the pipeline. Much of it has already been mentioned in this thread.

By contrast, any time I contemplate buying an Xbox One or a PS4, I just have to look at Steam to know that it will, at this time, be a colossal waste of money to do so. On each platform, there is presently precisely one game I would like to play, and neither of them are particularly high-profile titles. On Xbox One, I'd like to play SWERY's new game, because SWERY. And on PS4 I'd like to play Resogun. Now, D4 is strongly rumoured to be heading PC-wards at some point in the future, which will completely negate any desire I might have to own an Xbox One -- its other, non-gaming features actively put me off wanting to own one -- and Resogun just came out for Vita, which seems like an eminently more suitable platform for an arcade shooter of its calibre.

Look into the near future and things are a bit rosier for PS4 from my perspective, however. If I haven't got around to playing Akiba's Trip on Vita by the time the PS4 version comes out, I will likely play that version instead. There's a new Hyperdimension Neptunia game coming to PS4 -- a brand new one, not one of the Re;Birth titles. There's Omega Quintet from Idea Factory/Compile Heart, the Neptunia devs. And where Idea Factory goes, other Japanese developers seem inclined to follow (or perhaps it's the other way around?) which means that's where I'll be spending much of my time while weeping quietly at my PS2 and PS3 backlog which, at this rate, will keep me going into old age.

Also worth noting: Wii U is backwards-compatible, while PS4 and Xbox One are not. This means that Wii U is a means of "catching up" for those who missed out on excellent, interesting and underappreciated Wii titles like Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower as well as oddities like Cursed Mountain and what is clearly the way Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was intended to be played... not to mention anyone who hasn't played a modern Nintendo game.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:13 pm

Angry Jedi wrote:Also worth noting: Wii U is backwards-compatible, while PS4 and Xbox One are not. This means that Wii U is a means of "catching up" for those who missed out on excellent, interesting and underappreciated Wii titles like Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower as well as oddities like Cursed Mountain and what is clearly the way Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was intended to be played... not to mention anyone who hasn't played a modern Nintendo game.

I don't think Xenoblade is underappreciated at all. It was the first of those big three Project Rainfall titles to get localized, and it got the lion's share of the media attention. That game got a ton of praise, and it deserved all of it.

Though, I think you're right about the other two being underappreciated. Just trying to explain Pandora's Tower to someone could make their eyes glaze over.

I really love your point about backwards compatibility as well. If I could play my PS1-PS3 library on the PS4, I would be way more willing to jump on sooner rather than later. I still have four or five PS3 games I haven't even opened from their shrinkwrap, and if I knew I could play those all on the PS4, I would maybe start socking some money away and making room on the entertainment center. But, if I were to get a PS4 tomorrow, I would have a PS2, PS3, and PS4 all simultaneously hooked up to my tv...
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:22 pm

I actually do think Xenoblade was underappreciated. Sure, it got the lion's share of coverage of all the Rainfall games, as you say, but it's still not anything like as well known as the latest and greatest big-budget stuff. And beyond that: how many people here have actually played it? (I have, and I know Beige and Rampant have.) By virtue of it being on Wii, I know that many, many people -- not just here but in the gaming community at large -- will have passed it by without a second thought, probably in favour of something that ran at HD resolutions.

Wii U gives you a chance to rectify that... assuming you can find a copy, that is, since the limited print run in the US also contributes significantly to the relatively small number of people who played it! I'm glad I jumped on it (and The Last Story/Pandora's Tower) the moment they were released.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:41 pm

I've been playing a few things of late, but just wanted to say I went back to play around with the original Quake tonight. For shits and giggles.

And it still remains so damn awesome. What a chilling and morbid aesthetic. What snappy, ultra-fast gameplay. A brutal arsenal. Eighteen years old thereabouts and not at all suffering its age.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Quake! Fond memories indeed. I even made a mod for it. You could level up and get stronger. Unfortunately I made it so that once you got to about level 3 you could gib a Shambler in one hit with that pathetic shotgun you start with. Good times.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:47 pm

Calin Kim wrote:I really love your point about backwards compatibility as well. If I could play my PS1-PS3 library on the PS4, I would be way more willing to jump on sooner rather than later. I still have four or five PS3 games I haven't even opened from their shrinkwrap, and if I knew I could play those all on the PS4, I would maybe start socking some money away and making room on the entertainment center. But, if I were to get a PS4 tomorrow, I would have a PS2, PS3, and PS4 all simultaneously hooked up to my tv...

Just another advantage of the PC -- Windows having the most reliable track record for backwards compatibility. I know 90% of what I have on PC now will run on my next computer and the one after that with a free resolution increase. Backwards compatibility and in general having some kind of unified ecosystem has become the norm on mobile and PCs -- basically everywhere except consoles. I think a part of Sony really wants PlayStation to feel like this going back to their PS1-to-PS2-to-PS3 BC, but has been held back by the need for every new console to exhibit exotic new architecture. I think the main reason they're doing PlayStation Now is as a backup because they couldn't slam the PS3's Cell chip into the PS4 and there's no way in hell they can emulate it. I only hope they take the more interesting route in regards to PS1 and PS2 games.

A while back Eurogamer posted a rumor suggesting Sony is trying to get PS1 and PS2 emulation running on PS4. I have no idea why Sony hasn't ported its PS1 emulator over yet -- the one the Vita uses to run PS1 Classics and the PS3 uses to run PS1 discs. They've gotten that down pat and already established a "buy once, play everywhere" system. That whole idea is probably why Sony promotes cross-buy between PS3, PS4, and Vita. At the very least Sony should be able to bring PS1 Classics to the PS4. At best they could let you run old discs. I'm not saying they'd do it from a business standpoint, but from a technical standpoint it's definitely not out of the question. Better PS2 emulation might even be possible. Sony's really trying to sell digital PS2 games on the PS3 but is severely limited by the PS3's ability to emulate the PS2. The pieces are all there. Eurogamer's rumor even suggested some PS2 games would get an automatic resolution increase when run on the PS4's emulation, similar to PCSX2.

Anyway, let's just hope Sony and Microsoft stick with their current x86 architecture going forward, which should make future BC a lot more plausible.
PreviousNext