Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: Whatchya Playin' - Brand New Digs Edition

by Alex Connolly » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:27 am

Good to hear DotE is hitting all the right notes. Such a fine game. I really do hope we see more crazy spin-offs from Amplitude's Endless IP. They strike me as a studio that has more of an idea how to run with strange ideas than a place like Double Fine.

As an aside, if you love DotE, then Deadnaut will appeal wholly and solely.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

428: Shibuya Scramble, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition

by Angry Jedi » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:37 am

Not jumped in on this thread for a while, so here we go, then.

Finally Platinumed Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 the other night, following a long grind to get the Millionaire trophy by repeatedly fighting Cliones at 322k credits per battle in an attempt to eventually accumulate 100 million in total. My party ended up well over level 400 by the end of the process.

Grind aside, this was, I think, the best Neptunia game to date, and eminently well-suited to handheld play. The more esoteric systems that the franchise has used throughout its various installments were explained much better than ever, and there's a good sense of getting noticeably better and stronger as you progress.

Compile Heart have a bit of an issue with difficulty curves -- or more accurately spikes -- although to be honest I rather enjoyed the fact that it wasn't afraid to kick my ass unexpectedly every so often.

The story is pure fluff but it does what the series has done well ever since its inception: provide you with a fun cast of characters that it's just plain enjoyable to hang out with. The new additions are great, too, particularly if you're familiar with the games and anime that inspired them. No Keiji Inafune in this one, though, sadly...

Looking forward to Re;Birth 2 and 3 as well as Neptunia U, Hyperdevotion Goddess Noire and Neptunia Victory II, the latter of which will be the reason I buy a PS4 if I don't already have one by then!
User

mrgilder

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:07 am

Pennsylvania, USA

Real Name

Chris C.

Favorite Genres

RPG, "Hunting" RPGs, Action, Platformers,

Now Playing

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1, Bayonetta 2, Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - Curtain Call, Xenoblade

by mrgilder » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Beige wrote:Bayonetta 2:
Everything you've heard is true. Bayonetta 2 is more of that gonzo Platinum sauce you crave, polished to a stunning degree. Implausibly tall bespectacled Amazons kicking eleven flavors of ass, strapping flamethrowers onto high heels and doing splits, killing angels while mugging for the camera. The plot is absolutely nonsensical, something something squirrel boy something something fimbulvinter. Samuel L Jackson is a demon.

I don't know whether it is a character action game requirement or what, but whoop-whoop-what-is-even-happening-here plots have been par for the course since Devil May Cry 1 and maybe before. I'm not stressing overly about it. The peanut gallery derives plenty of laughs from the absurdism of what's happening on screen. Women kicking things in the face, doing sweet moves, Witch Time. I don't know what else I can say about it besides the fact that between this, Capn' Toad and all the rest, the WiiU is pretty much the compulsory console for 2014 if you must own one.

I finally started my Bayonetta 2 file last night, after taking my sweet time over the past few weeks to play through the disc copy of the original game that Platinum so generously provided. I don't have a hell of alot to add to what you've said. It's just wacko fun through and through. Every now and then, I play a game that makes me say to myself, "this is why I play video games." Bayonetta 2 has been one of those rare treasures. The game is smooth, fun, gorgeous, stylish, and expertly crafted. It's everything I wanted it to be.

I've said this to several friends in the past few weeks - if I didn't already have a WiiU, and I had enough money in my pocket to buy either a WiiU or a PS4, I'd leap on the WiiU all over again. The Bayonetta double pack, Mario 3D World, and Captain Toad are all aces. The only HD console version of Monster Hunter available in the West is there. I don't care what the naysayers say (naysay?), Sonic: Lost World is an actual good Sonic game, and I don't just mean "a good game as far as Sonic games go." And Xenoblade Chronicles X is looking more solid by the day - and ever looks to be my "perfect" game. I'm madly in love with my WiiU for both its present and its future.
Check out my artwork on tumblr or deviantart.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:46 pm

+1 for the necessity of the WiiU. I heard it referred to recently as "the only mandatory console of this generation" which in 2014 is apt.

Steam + WiiU and you're good. Captain Toad is weirdly up there on my Christmas List. 150 hours (!) in Monster Hunter says hello. Bayo 2, Future things along the Zelda and X lines. Smash Bros. It's what's for dinner.
User

mrgilder

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:07 am

Pennsylvania, USA

Real Name

Chris C.

Favorite Genres

RPG, "Hunting" RPGs, Action, Platformers,

Now Playing

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1, Bayonetta 2, Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - Curtain Call, Xenoblade

by mrgilder » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:22 pm

Beige wrote:Steam + WiiU and you're good. Captain Toad is weirdly up there on my Christmas List. 150 hours (!) in Monster Hunter says hello. Bayo 2, Future things along the Zelda and X lines. Smash Bros. It's what's for dinner.

I'm one of those bizarre gaming lepers who, in general, could care less about Zelda. But I'm so excited for the new Zelda. It's crazy. I'm not excited about because it's Zelda, but I am stoked for what kind of gameplay it might bring to the table. I really enjoy large, expansive, open-ended fantasy worlds where exploration is encouraged. I love titles like Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma because of this style of play; however, I grow tired of their clear, "attempt at photo realism" visual approaches. Brown worlds = bored me. The new Zelda game promises the prospect of an expansive open world but with a bright, stylized cartoon aesthetic. I cannot say "no" to this.
Check out my artwork on tumblr or deviantart.
User

Grant Heaslip

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

by Grant Heaslip » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Angry Jedi wrote:Not jumped in on this thread for a while, so here we go, then.

Finally Platinumed Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 the other night, following a long grind to get the Millionaire trophy by repeatedly fighting Cliones at 322k credits per battle in an attempt to eventually accumulate 100 million in total. My party ended up well over level 400 by the end of the process.

Grind aside, this was, I think, the best Neptunia game to date, and eminently well-suited to handheld play. The more esoteric systems that the franchise has used throughout its various installments were explained much better than ever, and there's a good sense of getting noticeably better and stronger as you progress.

Compile Heart have a bit of an issue with difficulty curves -- or more accurately spikes -- although to be honest I rather enjoyed the fact that it wasn't afraid to kick my ass unexpectedly every so often.

The story is pure fluff but it does what the series has done well ever since its inception: provide you with a fun cast of characters that it's just plain enjoyable to hang out with. The new additions are great, too, particularly if you're familiar with the games and anime that inspired them. No Keiji Inafune in this one, though, sadly...

Looking forward to Re;Birth 2 and 3 as well as Neptunia U, Hyperdevotion Goddess Noire and Neptunia Victory II, the latter of which will be the reason I buy a PS4 if I don't already have one by then!

I think I'm a PSN sale away from giving Neptunia a shot. Is Re;Birth 1 a good starting point? I don't have very much tolerance for janky (for lack of a better word) gameplay systems, and my rough understanding is that Re;Birth is substantially better in a mechanical sense.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

428: Shibuya Scramble, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition

by Angry Jedi » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:13 pm

Re;Birth is absolutely a great starting point. Gameplay-wise it's on a par with Victory, since it uses the same combat system. The metagame (where you can manipulate harvestable items in dungeons, the bosses you can fight and various gameplay systems) is a bit better, though, since it's less dependent on RNG and gives you a lot more choice than the "Scouting" system seen in Victory.

It's also a retelling of the first game's story and stands by itself; it's clear the writers, by now, have a much better handle on who all these characters are, and together they're a great ensemble.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:31 am

Beige wrote:+1 for the necessity of the WiiU. I heard it referred to recently as "the only mandatory console of this generation" which in 2014 is apt.

Steam + WiiU and you're good. Captain Toad is weirdly up there on my Christmas List. 150 hours (!) in Monster Hunter says hello. Bayo 2, Future things along the Zelda and X lines. Smash Bros. It's what's for dinner.

A lot of people are coming to this conclusion, or at least the conclusion that you really only need a Wii U and one other "main" platform to live on. Third party exclusives are becoming a thing of the past, PC indie games have taken leaps forward in the last couple years, and even more Japanese developers are warming up to it. What is the world coming to.

I still haven't acquired a Wii U but almost everything I've spent serious time on in the last couple years has been Steam and 3DS.

Consoles right now are fine if you only want to spend $400 on hardware and don't want to screw around with drivers. People just need to stop pretending these consoles have "identities" based on their game libraries, because they don't anymore.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:52 am

And even then, the only time I've had to screw around with drivers is...

...hell, tweaking RAGE at launch to speed up megatexture loading. The notion that the PC isn't a plug-and-play machine these days is almost insulting.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:10 am

Just looked at the Steam page for Dungeon of the Endless and saw the words "Tower Defense." UGH. Say it ain't so.

Alex Connolly wrote:And even then, the only time I've had to screw around with drivers is...

...hell, tweaking RAGE at launch to speed up megatexture loading. The notion that the PC isn't a plug-and-play machine these days is almost insulting.

It very nearly is now outside the costs of getting a decent graphics card, but at this point I consider that the cost of getting good graphics seeing as the new consoles are definitely not cutting-edge. Steam has reached a point where most of the time you just click on a game to buy/download it, then click again to play it.
PreviousNext