Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

Re: Whatchya Playin' - Brand New Digs Edition

by RedSwirl » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:57 pm

Still ArmA 3. There's probably gonna be a thread but for now I'll just talk about one aspect of the game.

This game has certainly loosened the push-and-pull we see open world games wrestle with regarding world size versus density and interactivity. ArmA 3 is bigger than freaking GTA V and I had to play for 20 hours before I found a locked door. You can fly over a city in a helicopter and think "I can actually go in all those little buildings and all the rooms in them." The fucked-up part is that when you get into an urban combat situation, it actually feels like urban combat because of this, and Bohemia Interactive knows it.

The last side mission I just did involved a sniper hiding in a factory. The factory contains several buildings, all of which I had to check systematically, room-to-room. That's another thing most shooters won't do -- make you go through 30 minutes of tension before you have any contact with the enemy. Oh, and the sniper left presents all over the factory, so I had to check every single one of those doors for mines and tripwires. I like to imagine this track playing on in the background -- http://youtu.be/y3kSI0wu7g8?t=2m56s

Luckily for me, this sniper is dumb enough to be hiding in a room with two windows facing different directions. I manage to spot him aiming his weapon in the window away from me, sneak up, and lob a grenade in. A few seconds after the explosion I hear a voice that's either the not-dead-yet-sniper or is spotter, so I still have to go in. Twice on the way up the stairs I spot small, round, grey objects that turn out to be rolls of duct tape. Sure enough I find the spotter upstairs and only manage to put a whole pistol clip in him because I slowly turned the corner while locked in lean.

Oh, and the dude's hiding spot changes each time you try the mission.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:54 am

Was lucky enough to have had the day off today, on account of utter fizzler Typhoon Neoguri. The Worst Storm Japan Has Seen In A Decade, Okinawa-based American news outlets suggested. Well, it was a blustery eve behind the storm shutters, but I've faced greater squalls after a session of vindaloo than what presented itself to Kyushu today.

But the gift-horse remained purposefully unseen, shut within its stable so there remained not a smidgen of a chance the nag would receive a view.

Dug into Croatian-made chest hair kit, The Red Solstice. This sci-fi tactics game has been in the works for a while, and I'm super glad it has arrived on, yeah, Early Access. Pretty feature-complete, though, so you're not pulling a skeleton from the packing peanuts. It was born out of a Warcraft 3 mod initially, Night of the Dead. A hero-centric beast, closest to the MOBA subset, but being more of a tactical survival experience than some lane-hugging wizard mincer.

In a nutshell, it's Doom meets Starcraft through the lens of those curious real-time squad games of the 90s - Abomination: The Nemesis Project et al. - mixed with curios like the forgotten Blue Tongue Starship Troopers RTT from 2000 and the venerable Dawn of War franchise. Players control single characters, or latch NPC troopers into a proximity tether, but it's a game truly meant for the full and distinct compliment of eight-player co-op. It's a classic riff on 40K space marines with that grounded Heinlein/Haldeman clunk about 'em, and the eight specific classes are fully customisable. A slew of armaments, buffs, skills; each with their upsides and downsides. Missions as they are now are randomised upon a classic ALIENS-esque Martian outpost, where an infestation of id Software proportion calls for brave last stands and daring missions within an hour's timeframe.

Influences worn proudly on armoured sleeve, and being an addict when it comes to the right blend of offworld military outfit - No thanks, Fenix and co. - The Red Solstice is quite the get. A rough, ready and balls-hard game. Haven't lasted more than ten-odd minutes, but we'll see what happens after a few unlocks and maaaaaybe a few public multiplayer games.

Will certainly tide a bloke over until Helldivers, and probably well beyond.
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:04 pm

Alex, that game reminds me of Alien Swarm, the free Source game that a bunch of us played together a few years ago. I enjoyed it a lot, everyone had a job, difficult, tense, frantic, character progression, good times.

That's why I think I'm sold on Helldivers. It's on PS3, I guess that means I can play witchyall?
User

Bowley

Now Playing

by Bowley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:24 pm

Got my second wind with Dragon's Dogma after a month of no action. Came back to my main pawn wearing a dress (thanks, Mark) and 500,000 rift crystals. The latter is good, because the Dark Arisen dungeon is a motherfucker. I turned the difficulty down to normal, from hard, and it's still a ball buster. I learned how to cheese the dual condemned gorecyclopean room, got a bunch of bitterblack loot, got it cleansed and what did I get? Awesome armor of badassness?

Nope, I got some Red Sonja armored panty shit. JAPAAAAAN!
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:07 pm

I finished Dark Arisen to discover that my reward for my effort is Surprise! Doubleplus difficulty upgraded Bitterblack that I must now go through once again with "new" monsters if you want to see the true ending. I'm a fan of Dragon's Dogma but that's pushing my patience past I think where I'm willing to go. Grinding for a week just to get to the point where I could take down Bitterblack's first final boss was enough for me. I may attempt Bitterblack round 2, or I may just flip the whole thing the bird and watch it on youtube.

Bowls, if you haven't fought the original Dragon yet you should totally do that ASAP. It's no surprise to say that even after defeating it, the game is not Over Over with a weird and enjoyable postgame thing that you must do before the True Weirdness. The dragon fight itself is actually a very prolonged multi-stage battle with tons of little details which reminded me of why I was so impressed so much by the game at first blush. Grindy as it may be, there are moments of true brilliance in DD.

I enjoyed the weird postgame that occurs after the Dragon is defeated the first time, but get ready to run around the world all over the place defeating superbosses who have magically appeared hither and yon if you have a yen to do so. Fortunately none of them can hold a candle to the shit in the depths of Bitterblack, so if you can get through Dual Gorecyclops room and its Grand Maelstrom mage crew (fuck that place... seriously. I wasted a whole Sunday there.) nothing in the postgame will give you pause. Well, except Metal Golems maybe. Bring ranged physical damage attackers.
User

Bowley

Now Playing

by Bowley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:49 pm

I did defeat Grigori and got 20 wakestones, but haven't turned them in. That news really annoys me. CAN THIS GAME JUST END? WTF. "Haha you thought that was the real ending, but wait, there's more!"

Having to do Bitterblack twice is a real shit kicker to my enthusiasm to even finish it once. It's barely interesting the first time through, suffers from similar blandness to the base game, and recycles rooms more than twice. Dragon's Dogma is clearly designed to eat time and to satisfy people who only want to play it and nothing else and I don't abide by that. Youtube is a fair decision.

Also, I like Keyson's codpiece.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Bowley wrote:Alex, that game reminds me of Alien Swarm, the free Source game that a bunch of us played together a few years ago. I enjoyed it a lot, everyone had a job, difficult, tense, frantic, character progression, good times.

That's why I think I'm sold on Helldivers. It's on PS3, I guess that means I can play witchyall?

Yeah, bring on Helldivers. Hopefully something can be arranged.

The Red Solstice is kinda different as it controls like a strategy game, rather than an isometric shooter with mouselook. But it does have that same cool class distinction going on. Only have Assault and Medic unlocked right now, so we'll see where the carnage takes us.

Found some Gamespot multiplayer footage if you care to take a gander:

User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Lately I've been taking a look at Civ 5's scenarios, I particularly find the American civil war scenario pretty interesting.

I've also recently got a second PS4 controller, planning on playing Towerfall on coop with my kid sister.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:35 pm

asatiir wrote:Lately I've been taking a look at Civ 5's scenarios, I particularly find the American civil war scenario pretty interesting.

Do check out Ultimate General: Gettysburg if you catch the bug. Cheap and good.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:37 pm

asatiir wrote:Lately I've been taking a look at Civ 5's scenarios, I particularly find the American civil war scenario pretty interesting.

I've also recently got a second PS4 controller, planning on playing Towerfall on coop with my kid sister.

Towerfall is great fun! Haven't tried the co-op mode, but the battle mode was an absolute blast when I tried it with my friends a while back.
PreviousNext