Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: Whatchya Playin' - Brand New Digs Edition

by Alex Connolly » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:57 pm

Yes! Don Bradman Cricket 14! It's only taken thirteen years since Brian Lara/Shane Warne '99 to have a good cricket game delivered upon the fans. Not only just a perfunctory 'ducks in a row' game, but a refreshingly strategic effort with a radically empowering control scheme from batting to bowling, fielding...everything feels tight and responsive. Getting edges, cover drives, feeling like every action performed is YOU, rather than the days of mashing buttons; this is a revelation.

I guess this means dick-all to North Americans, but after looking longingly at the money pumped into your sports games, it's always been a wish to see the same level of care and attention put into one for Cricket. And while back in the day, there was quality parity because those were primitive days...the gap did grow when things like motion capture and big sponsorship deals became tied in with sports like NFL. Don Bradman Cricket 14 still couldn't snag any big corporate or official sponsorship, so the devs smartly decided to create player/team customisation tools and leave the rosters up to the fans. As soon as I installed the game, it asked me if I wanted to update the roster from generic to 'top rated community player/team packs'?

I'm playing with all the names, all the faces and all the uniforms. Feels good. And damn right. It's only the second-most popular sport in the entire world - hilarious Giant Bomb Quick Look video or otherwise.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:04 pm

I gave Don Bradman Cricket 14's demo a try the other day, and like the aforementioned North Americans I was confused and lost but that was definitely because I don't follow the sport. Being oblivious to an obviously popular sport (its got its fans here too, I'm just not one of them) aside, I finished off a few games from my pile of shame:

Tokkyu Shirei Solbrain/Shatterhand (NES):

This here is an action platformer in the same vein as the classic Castlevanias and probably a bit of Sunsoft's Batman too. As a kid, I played it on a bootleg famicom cartridge with the label Robocop III, we knew it wasn't THE robocop but couldn't tell what it was as the title was completely in Japanese. Solbrain is a Japanese Metal Heroes TV series from the early 90s, but due to licensing and because the show didn't have much of a market outside Japan that it had been renamed to Shatterhand with a few sprite changes. Though from what I've seen, besides the playable character, the game seems to have very little to do with the show.

The game is fairly short and is quite challenging, I really liked the sub-weapon system where you had to collect 3 of 2 item different items that, depending on the combination, gives you a different sub weapon robot. I was worried that the game wouldn't age well as I had some nostalgic memories for the game, but it played quite well. The controls were tight, graphics were great and the music is something I'll listen to again and again:

A friend suggest I play Power Blade after finishing Shatterhand, and that didn't bode well.

Shovel Knight (PC):

This game obviously needs no introduction, I took my time finishing it but it was fun through and through.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:45 pm

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PSVita):

I've never played and of the mainline Ratchet & Clank or Sly Cooper games, I've played Quest for Booty and now Thieves in Time is my first dive into Sly Cooper. I'm not sure if the game I'm playing are representative of the mainline games, I thought Quest for Booty was okay and Thieves in Time as playable but nothing mind blowing. I got it for free through PS+, so I can't really complain. I'm currently going through my Vita games to make room for more games (including the "HD" trilogies of both R&C and Sly Cooper).

Need for Speed Rivals (PS4):
It was up on the summer sales and I was eyeing the game since launch, I really enjoyed the last Hot Pursuit and Rivals is scratching that itch to some certain extent. I do have an issue where because I got into the game pretty late that I hardly see anyone from my friend list play the game anymore, otherwise I'm really enjoying the game.
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:58 pm

Played through Brothers, finally. Fun game, it's a looker too, there's also some poignant moments, but having two older brothers (IRL) didn't really make it any better. Based on all the accolades I was pretty sure what was going to happen at the end, though it was excellent nonetheless.

Been playing Dust: An Elysian Tail as well, which has managed to walk a real fine line between something I roll my eyes at and something I pay serious attention to. It's a sound game, a solid metroidvania, if a little spammy in combat at times. Hard to complain, really, when I keep the thought that ONE GUY made this floating through my mind at all times.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:02 pm

Bowley wrote:Played through Brothers, finally. Fun game, it's a looker too, there's also some poignant moments, but having two older brothers (IRL) didn't really make it any better. Based on all the accolades I was pretty sure what was going to happen at the end, though it was excellent nonetheless.

Been playing Dust: An Elysian Tail as well, which has managed to walk a real fine line between something I roll my eyes at and something I pay serious attention to. It's a sound game, a solid metroidvania, if a little spammy in combat at times. Hard to complain, really, when I keep the thought that ONE GUY made this floating through my mind at all times.

I keep getting told things like this. Having a brother didn't make it any more poignant or emotional, and having daughters didn't make The Walking Dead all the more intense on account of Lee and Clem's bond. I dunno. I think I'm missing a few neurons, or this black bastard of a heart needs a solid wash. Great game, though. Really great game, ol' Brothers.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:16 pm

Brothers is, I think, an example of exposure and expectations taken to unfortunate extremes.

I played it back before everybody said that it was the best thing since sliced bread and had a great experience -- ditto Braid, Bioshock, Gone Home and everything else that sort of went through the Critical Hype Machine. Outside of a few rare games like Journey it's very hard to stand in the blazing eye of Sauron for long periods of time without being diminished.

Currently playing: Walk around in Wales IRL. Oh, and Majesty 2... which we'll probably get back to tonight. Just finishing up the penultimate mission there. It's a sunofabitch.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:38 pm

Every hero wants his bloody gold! Good old Majesty!
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:39 pm

Beige wrote:Brothers is, I think, an example of exposure and expectations taken to unfortunate extremes.

I played it back before everybody said that it was the best thing since sliced bread and had a great experience -- ditto Braid, Bioshock, Gone Home and everything else that sort of went through the Critical Hype Machine. Outside of a few rare games like Journey it's very hard to stand in the blazing eye of Sauron for long periods of time without being diminished.

Currently playing: Walk around in Wales IRL. Oh, and Majesty 2... which we'll probably get back to tonight. Just finishing up the penultimate mission there. It's a sunofabitch.

I think even Journey suffered from that. I played and liked Journey, but I'm in no hurry to revisit it, and didn't find it anywhere near as impressive or affecting as Flower was to me. As with so much stuff these days, the fact that everyone was saying "THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER YOU MUST PLAY IT NOW" diminished the actual impact of the game itself, which I'm sure would have been greater had I gone in with more tempered expectations.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:54 pm

However strangely reactionary, and as complicit I am in enacting the same level of excitement (see things like 80 Days), the more something is hyped, the more wary I am.

When people said they'd cried during or after Journey, I became suspicious and cynical. Probably in part to never having had a really emotional experience with a game - bar frozen cryotrays in Homeworld and the first few quiet atomic blooms in DEFCON.
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:54 pm

That happened to my friend and I with Journey. I played it day one, it was fucking magical, smiles and emotions for a day at least. He played it a year(?) later and was like, "Meh, it was alright."

Much like Pete, he was all up in Flower ("It's like playing poetry!") when it came out and I was the opposite when I got to it much, much later.
PreviousNext