Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

Re: Whatchya Playin' - Brand New Digs Edition

by asatiir » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Alex Connolly wrote:Do check out Ultimate General: Gettysburg if you catch the bug. Cheap and good.

Noted, I might consider getting more of them if they're of this quality.

Angry Jedi wrote:Towerfall is great fun! Haven't tried the co-op mode, but the battle mode was an absolute blast when I tried it with my friends a while back.

I've played the multiplayer several times with friends, probably the only local multiplayer game I don't feel overwhelmed and terrible at, and was pretty excited when I saw it up for free.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:20 pm

Giving everything a break, I decided to focus on Sorcery Saga: The Curse of the Great Curry God on Vita since my Vita's memory card is filling up.
I'm already 5 chapters in, it's a little closer to the Chocobo Dungeon school of roguelikes which I usually don't favor but I don't know why I'm motivated to see this to the end, even when I'm not paying attention to any of the story. I usually prefer my roguelikes to be a little on the hard side, yet I find fun making curry in this game.
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:49 pm

Finally fucking finished Dragon's Dogma aaaaaand... that's... well... I really liked that ending. It *all* makes sense now, everything, but man, I did not see it coming at all. It's really a shame so much of the meat of the game is so tedious to get through and generic on top of that. I will forgive a lot for an interesting story though (see also Alpha Protocol). With my limited experience, it seems to me that the Japanese really know how to end a game, once you finally get there.

I could have lived without Bitterblack Isle from Dark Arisen, if it weren't for that place I would have finished this back in May. That's right, MAY. I'll give its final boss battle a little credit though, I'm a sucker for boss battles set to dramatic versions of the main theme.

Anyway, there you go, Dragon's Dogma.

Next up, HEART OF THE SWARM, it's only 20 dollars now, WOOOO! This is Jimmy.
Last edited by Bowley on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:46 pm

Nice. I'll be right there with you with DD sometime this week. Looking forward to the Heart of the Swarm live updates.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Beige » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:41 am

Hoo weeee. Remember South America? Remember how they also make video games sometimes? Me neither, but apparently they do.

So, anyway, some of you might remember a crazy little game called Rock of Ages. It was made by an obviously inspired little game development crew called ACE games. High on ART low perhaps on execution? Yeah, well those guys just got together and released a Castlevania game. Sorta. It's called Abyss Odyssey and I just played it for 45 minutes or so on Steam.

Elevator Pitch: Chile in 1800s. Everyone is running around in awesome blue military uniforms with feathers on them. There are sabres. A giant pit of some kind opens beneath Santiago. Military dudes of the Age of Imperialism go down there to see what's up.

What's up is a randomly generated not-quite roguelike Castlevania down there. Some girl who looks like she just stepped out of a Waterhouse-meets-Lemke painting leaps into the forefront with a sabre and begins to raise all sorts of hell. The girl is you -- she is your first character at least -- and you control her as she battles her way down the pit, fighting bosses and zugs and slashing about.

Combat is ripped straight from fighting games, of all places. Cancels, combos, throws, special meters, chain attacks and timed blocking. Enemies are crazy and weird in a way that I can only refer to as "High Art by way of Artistico Latin America". Crazy armless heron enemies carrying keys who look kinda like plague doctors. Big golems, flowing hair. Sea witches. I ran into a demon playing the violin and had a conversation. He had a skull face. WHAT IS GOING ON.

Combat feels a little squishy so far -- but this may be deliberate. I found this guide illustrative http://steamcommunity.com/app/255070

Is it good? Way too early to tell. I enjoyed busting walls, discovering a secret shop, buying a rapier and fighting a demon in the first 30 minutes though. Also the art is just killer and the music isn't bad either. These guys were clearly inspired by Symphony of the Night.

Also: Random: When you die as the beautiful saber wielding heroine, a little Chilean soldier in a blue cap leaps out of nowhere. You then get a chance to do a Dark Souls run as this little zug with his crappy sword and crappy pistol. You're a D&D minion, essentially -- no special moves -- but if you can make it back to one of the crazy altars of resurrection, you can kiss the beautiful sleeping swordswoman and wake her again to pick up where you left off. I have no idea where this is going but I like it. Oh, also everybody including the woman may just be a dream inside the head of a sleeping magician who may or may not also be the devil. Hooray for Latin American weirdness.

The whole thing is $9.99. Booya.

User

Bowley

Now Playing

by Bowley » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:28 pm

That's... huh. I'll wait for the full Mark review, but I'm interested. There's plenty of USA hoo-rah, Japanese WTF, and even a good dose of cold Eastern European dreariness on the market, but definitely not enough South American weirdness.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Beige » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:52 pm

I can't help but smile each time I see those brass-buttoned blue suited Chilean soldiers. They're like Don Whoever who hated Zorro and most of them are rocking classy moustaches. The leader has a big bicorn hat and every now and then they appear out of nowhere to assist you in fights. 3 or four dudes with bayonets, ball rifles and swords leaping out to help fight a centaur with the back half of a spotted deer.

Also, I definitely approve of the prominence of the Devil (as envisioned by Catholicism) as an underlying antagonist. Lots of NPC discussion on the subject of how selling your soul to the powers of darkness for worldly power is a bad idea.

It's so hard to do historical horror of the gothic school without at least dipping a toe into religiosity. I feel like Murdered: Soul Suspect missed a trick in not just doubling down on Salem Witch Fear = Fear of Satanism, but I suspect the Dark One is problematic when you're releasing a game from the secular Western perspective. Chile, thankfully, does not have this problem.
User

Bowley

Now Playing

by Bowley » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Heart of the Swarm - Hey, did you have fun with the crazy, varied missions in Wings of Liberty? Did you like the RPG-lite aspects of choosing different types of units as you hunted down research cubes, and watching the main character talk to different crew members between missions? This is exactly more of that, except slimy Zerg main ship, more claws and teeth, lots of evolution and talks about gene splicing/spinning and a third less of everything, total, compared to last time.

It's enjoyable enough for the above ride. I'm not a huge edgy Zerg fan. The story being told is still the weak spot. The destroyers are coming, everyone is going to die, but Kerrigan is only out for revenge! Rarrrrr. It's sophomoric Blizzard stuff, but top quality in all other aspects (music may even be better this time). Anyway, I'm happy to consume some space drama in a universe that 16 year old me thought was the best shit evar.

Wings of Liberty - I will do anything for love! <3
Heart of the Swarm - I will do anything for revenge! >:^(
Legacy of the Void - I will do anything to not die? Right, guys? Can we worry about our civilizations ending, maybe? : |
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Beige » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:38 pm

User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Beige » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Welp, Dragon's Dogma is down for the count. What a weird little experience. OK, weird long experience.

I'm definitely richer for the miles. Was not expecting the game's title to indicate anything beyond strange Japanese madlibs, so it was a pleasant surprise when the credits rolled and I found myself actually pondering the titular Dogma and what it all meant vis-a-vis dragons.

I agree with Bowley. DD managed to out-Mass Effect Mass Effect in its final moments thanks to the low stakes of its narrative. You can get away with rediculousness when your game ia already patently rediculous. Rather than angering your fanbase, it just comes across as Japanese people being incredibly earnest. Bowls, did you ever look up the different variants on that final scene that can occur based on character love interest? The dutchess is a clueless broad, your childhood friend sees right through it and weird witch girl from the woods remarks 'you're just like me'...

I have a list of improvements as long as my arm that I'd like to see in a Dragon's Dogma sequel (assuming one ever happens) but I'm not sorry I made the trip. I essentially flipped the bird to a second pass through Dark Arisen though. Eff that.

Capcom: Please
- Much like D&D there is a sweet spot around the late heroic tier where your character sits between godlike invincibility and level 0 fragility. A point where your powers actually matter and the experience isn't just a slog to shave off energy tanks from enormous behemoths. Try to nail down that feeling for more of the game.
- Love interests? lololol. No, wait, don't change anything about this. I love having the game procedurally evaluate that my character is in a lesbian love affair with the shopkeeper because it equates 'number of click interactions you've had with this NPC' directly to 'character you are most emotionally inveseted in'
- Why hide fun monsters like Metal Golems and beholders in the post-game?
- Fuck Metal Golems though. Seriously. Don't create creatures that equate to an auto-fail if you don't have specific party member skills availalbe.
- Climbing around on monsters and stabbing them in the face is great. More of that please. Never got tired of watching chimeras flail and roll around wildly on the ground like a dog trying to rid itself of fleas when my party was holding onto its fur for dear life.
- Liking the J-take on Western Mythology. Ogres should always be enormous apes who do Mexican Wrestling moves from here on out.
- Lock on button?
- Decide whether EITHER start or select is your inventory and stick with it. 40 hours in I was still pressing select to equip gear.
- Encumbrance can eat a bowl full of 35 x 0.45lb dicks. Stop trying to be Demon's Souls! Nobody cares about your sour scrag of beast flesh!
- Quest reward: You get 60 skulls each weighing half a pound dumped immediately into your inventory apropos of nothing as you're fighting some dude. SURPRISE you now weigh a thousand pounds.
- Killing haunted armor takes way, way too long. Bags of hitpoints aren't fun foes.
- 3 foes who each cast Grand Maelstrom as soon as you enter the room: Bounce bounce bounce I'm already dead bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce.
- Run run run... huff huff huffffffff.... run run.... hufffff. Pawn: "Dont' tire yourself out master!"
- Walk up and over the mountain waycastle. Now do this a hundred times. "Beware of goblin ambush master!"
- Pawn has access to 'enchant weapon with holy power' ability. Refuses to use it once against obviously undead boss during 30 minute grind-a-thon. Even Zaeed did what you told him to.
- Pawn Rift -> Summon random ten year old dressed in top hat and underoos with super annoying voice -> use them for their healing ability -> Dress them up in hoisery and send them home with rotten fish and a Facebook like. This part can stay.
PreviousNext