Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

Re: Whatchya Playin' - Brand New Digs Edition

by RedSwirl » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:14 pm

Beige how do you have the mouse and keyboard set up for couch/living room surfing? Originally I just had a wooden board in my lap but after a few months it seriously messed up my thighs. Worked great otherwise though. I see lapboards being sold that are basically the same thing but with a cushion at the base. Right now the Steam Controller with the keyboard in my lap is cool though.

Witcher 1 is actually one game I wanna see about with the Steam Controller. Another is Sands of Time -- basically a console game but from before the era of Xinput.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:38 pm

Whoever is in the drivers' seat sits on the right side of the couch. Immediately over the armrest (which is about elbow height) there is a small table that is positioned at the right height for a mouse, at about the position where your hand would naturally rest if it was sitting on the armrest.

Essentially you rest your arm on the edge of the couch and then the logitech Wireless mouse sits off the side of that rest, on a side table just to the right of your seat. It's actually a nice hardwood collapsable TV table, it's mobile... in the rare cases where it has to move.

We also have a Logitech wireless keyboard that usually sits on the lap of whoever is doing the driving, sometimes on a pillow. In extreme cases we break out the TV tray to sit the keyboard on, but most of the time it's enough to just sit there on your lap. I've played countless PC specific games in this position, never had any problems. Anno 2205 being the last one.

We watch a ton of Netflix and XBMC as well as using the computer constantly while anybody is home.

Steam controller isn't bad - it's just not as comfy and natural, especially when typing (which we do a lot of).
User

RedSwirl

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:31 pm

If I could get a TV tray that's a little lower it would be perfect. I'm trying to shop for adjustable ones.

Oh, and if the wireless Xbox One controller adapter works, I might consider investing in an Xbox One media remote. If Microsoft was smart in how it integrated the Xbox One controller into Windows 10 it could all make perfect sense for a Windows 10 HTPC. Imagine installing the Netflix Windows app and controlling that with an Xbox One media remote. Ideally it should work just like it would on an actual Xbox, but with Windows attached.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:57 am

What're folks looking forward to in the immediate future? I've got two titles preordered, namely Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak and Dragon's Dogma PC. Pretty excited for both, hence the lapdoggery in pulling the preemptive trigger on both. Jim Sterling would be ashamed.

Other titles include Oriental Empires and, possibly very far off, Doorkickers 2.
User

RedSwirl

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:16 pm

Probably not buying anything this month. There's a Steam backlog to cleave through, and I only just got Hearts of Stone and GTA V. I might make another attempt at getting a Wii U at the end of January, which opens a whole new can of backlog games.

My first major 2016 purchases are probably going to come next month: Firewatch and Street Fighter.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:01 pm

Firewatch should be a hoot.
User

RedSwirl

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:33 am

Coming fairly soon actually is Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, a more-than-an-HD-remaster of previous Squad game Odin Sphere. The demo just dropped on Japanese PSN for PS3, PS4, and Vita. I think we all here know how to spoof Japanese accounts.

This is important because according to reports, Leifthrasir is a significantly re-balanced port. I haven't dug into it yet and can't be bothered to pop in my original PS2 copy, but pretty much all hands-on impressions I'm reading are pretty positive. I remember the Squad ultimately criticizing the original game for its repetitiveness across its sort-of absurd length. Vanillaware seems to have basically redesigned every area and re-balanced every character, apparently using everything it has learned from the games it made since: Muramasa, the Muramasa DLC, Dragon's Crown. UI seems to be re-done, new combo system, platforming where there previously was none, the works.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:51 pm

As much as I loved Odin sphere, I would welcome some balancing changes. Love vanillaware and the art styles of their games. Definitely dig Odin spheres Norse overtones n such. Very beautiful game, interesting gameplay mechanics, but yeah... It asks you to bang your head against a wall till you feel dizzy.

Would love to be able to play dragons crown on ps4 as well. Pretty much don't touch my ps3 lately, and it was a decent multiplayer brawler. If they gave it a directors cut, I might buy again.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:30 pm

We're all in on Superhot, I take it?

Shouldn't be long now.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:12 am

Forgot about Superhot. What a sexy game.. Release date?
PreviousNext