Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Whatchya Playin' - Brand New Digs Edition

by Alex Connolly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:01 pm

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw (Quake 3 k/d ratio: 17.1)

A running record of what's on the gaming plate, be it fresh flesh or cured cuts. Go, friends, list. List! Discuss!
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

Re: Whatchya Playin' - Brand New Digs Edition

by Beige » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:55 pm

I'm playing Transistor at the moment... just stared it last night as an effort to kill some time in between this and that. I'm not one of those Bastion truefans, though I liked the little game well enough for what it was.

Initial thoughts:
- Welp, obviously the Bastion guys want to be known as "the company that makes games featuring constant narration from a disembodied NPC"
- Crazy inventory system. Just nuts. All your powers and abilities are functions() in the programming sense, which you can map to any button you want. You've got a suite of powers which essentially boil down into genral categorizations like melee, ranged, stealth, explosion, charm, (etc. It's early).
- You can mix-n-match these powers into primary + secondary. So... if you equip melee('primary') with ranged('secondary') you get a melee attack that is maybe faster to fire thanks to the ranged augment. Reverse the order, you get a ranged power that has some kind of debilitating rider thanks to its melee secondary. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of the stealth functions strangely. Stealth() + Explosions() creates a BAMF cloud that damages everything around me when I use it and which plunges me into the hidden ether. The 10 second cooldown is a bitch though.
- Also, the powers / functions are also people (?) whose bios you can investigate by using them in different combinations?
- When you "die" by losing all your HP your penalty is that a specific function becomes disabled until you hit two checkpoints. This forces you to have to reshuffle your inventory each time you lose a life. Strange.
- The art & design is totally gonzo. Whether you love or hate the very hypersaturated, jolly rancher glossy cool art-deco noir thing they've got going on, you can't deny that this game is possessed of an absolute certainty of what it wants to present itself as.

I can't quite tell if I "like" it or not, which is a strange feeling. Mechanically it's quite competant and some of the ideas are interesting. I wouldn't call it compelling though, and maybe that's not a good sign. I'll get back to you after we do some boss battles. Either way, I don't think they are going to get a pass this time around just for having a cool VO.
User

RocGaude

Rank

Site Admin

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Montana

Real Name

Chris Whittington

Favorite Genres

Western CRPGs, Co-op shootin' stuff, skateboarding games (RIP), the occasional sports game, adventurin', and puzzle solving.

Now Playing

The Witcher 3, Life is Strange, and I can't fully quit Destiny.

by RocGaude » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:54 pm

I'm with you about Transistor, Beige. Every time I fire it up, I walk around for a bit and just turn it off.

I'm almost finished with Watch_Dogs. Putting in the hours with single player because I paid full price like a dumb ass. God, what a crappy story and phoned in voice acting. The gameplay is fun enough and the digital trips are a hoot, though.

Super antsy for the Destiny beta. The alpha convinced me that it was the game I've been wanting to play for a long time.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Beige » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:00 pm

I will buy and play Destiny if other Squaddies are on it. Multiplay with all yall would be a hoot, but disinterested otherwise. PS4?
User

RocGaude

Rank

Site Admin

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Montana

Real Name

Chris Whittington

Favorite Genres

Western CRPGs, Co-op shootin' stuff, skateboarding games (RIP), the occasional sports game, adventurin', and puzzle solving.

Now Playing

The Witcher 3, Life is Strange, and I can't fully quit Destiny.

by RocGaude » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Beige wrote:I will buy and play Destiny if other Squaddies are on it. Multiplay with all yall would be a hoot, but disinterested otherwise. PS4?

Oh, I'm all in on this one. It's born and bred for 3 player co-op hi jinks. PS4 all the way.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

Hand of Fate - Anybody curious

by Beige » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:13 pm

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/07/08/hand- ... ly-access/

I saw this pop up on Steam recently. Deckbuilding + RPG sounds awesome. Anybody play it? I'm curious, but as always suspicious of Early Access.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:00 pm

I played move all my crap into a new apartment. Have however played some magicka in local coop, which is fun if you get over the odd controller spell selection. Also played a card based game called boss monster, which is a neat competitive dungeon builder. Just bought valiant hearts but want a quiet night to begin.
User

Rory Taylor

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Favorite Genres

Fighting, FPS, RPG, Action Adventure

Now Playing

Ultra SF4, Shovel Knight, Call of Juarez Gunslinger, Sniper Elite III

by Rory Taylor » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:07 pm

RocGaude wrote:
Beige wrote:I will buy and play Destiny if other Squaddies are on it. Multiplay with all yall would be a hoot, but disinterested otherwise. PS4?

Oh, I'm all in on this one. It's born and bred for 3 player co-op hi jinks. PS4 all the way.

Yeah, I'm in as well. It's the kind of thing that if I'm not gonna co-op with friends, I won't even bother with the game at all, but if a few of you guys play, I'm definitely interested. I don't know if I have that many of you on my PSN list. Mine is TheNewBlack, for what it's worth.

Over the holiday, I started playing a couple pretty badass games. I started off with Shovel Knight, and yeah it's as great as everyone else would have you believe. So much has been said about it, I probably don't have a unique take on it, but I'll co-sign whatever tomes of praise have been written about it.

Secondly, I started up Call of Juarez Gunslinger. There was a thread on the other site about under-appreciated art styles, and this would definitely be a nomination of mine. On the gameplay front, it is a straightforward gallery style shooter, and I mean that in the most flattering way possible. Enemies pop out from behind buildings, rocks, balconies, etc. and you blast away as you slowly trudge down a mostly linear path. Bonus points for gratuitous headshots, chaining kills together, and for long distance shots. The basic premise is that an old bounty hunter walks into a saloon and regales the folk there with his tales of glory and compare it to what was written about him in the penny dreadfuls of the time. You play out these tales, and sometimes you'll play a short section, and he'll jump in and say "that ain't how it happened...", and you'll go back to a point earlier in the story and do it a different way. Pretty clever. As you play through these tales you earn XP based on your scoring and can upgrade along 3 paths - gunslinger (dual pistols akimbo), marksman, and trapper (shotty expert) - and earn different skills to help you along the way.

Anyway, here's some screenshots:

It kind of has the super saturated Borderlands-esque look to it, which I dig. It's pretty cheap on Steam, I think, like maybe 9.99 or so. Give it a go if you like Wild West games or are just in the mood for a fun mindless shooter.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:33 am

Two things occupying the majority of my time at the mo: Final Fantasy XIV, as ever -- new update hit today and the new stuff is really, really great -- and Atelier Rorona Plus.

I'm planning on making a full Mission thread for Atelier, but for now I'll say this: the Plus release should be held up as a benchmark on how to remake games. Normally I'd balk at the idea of a rerelease on the same platform a game originally came out on, but in Atelier Rorona's case it's practically a new game. Not only have the graphics been overhauled -- there's no longer a huge dissonance between the 2D art and the 3D character models -- but the whole damn game has been revamped, too. New combat system, new crafting system, tons of "quality of life improvements" (like an inventory sort and filter system -- essential for a crafting-centric game like this) plus a load of bonus content. It all adds up to a fine package that is well worth your time, particularly if you're looking for something a little unconventional from your RPGs.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:35 pm

Rory Taylor wrote:Secondly, I started up Call of Juarez Gunslinger....

*snip*

A stunning game, and tied with Metro: Last Light as my FPS of last year.
Next