Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...

The Heresy Thread

User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

Re: The Heresy Thread

by RedSwirl » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:42 am

The extrovert/introvert divide in game design and marketing brings up an interesting irony:

If I look back at all the games I played and enjoyed the most over the last several years (maybe even ever), they were definitely the introvert kind of game. While most people were enamored with COD or whatever multiplayer game, I spent way more time with Fallout or Dark Souls or whatever other open-world game, playing alone. For the most part I don't really give a shit about the multiplayer in most games.

...yet, I love Smash Bros. Mind you, I'm willing to spend hours upon hours playing random matches with bots, but I still absolutely relish multiplayer Smash Bros. whenever I can actually find three people to play it with. I also absolutely love Left 4 Dead whenever I can find a game. I have a handful of multiplayer games I really like and will play for years, but the vast majority I just don't care about.

I think the main difference between the ones I like and don't care about has to do with intimacy and player counts. The description of the introvert as being "alone" often misses the "small groups" part, which I think some multiplayer games fall well within. Smash Bros. is just four people (soon eight). Left 4 Dead is just four-to-eight people. Street Fighter is one-on-one. NeoTokyo I believe is 12 people at most. Ironically I also prefer how much more you interact with each other player in these games. Call of Duty and Battlefield are built so you can just anonymously shoot things alongside 64 other people without much need for communication. That seems to have become the main template for multiplayer games. That template is exactly what I don't like. Online Smash Bros. is young so my image of playing it still involves trash-talking with three other people in the same room (which is the form of multiplayer Nintendo really cares about). L4D is all teamwork and communication along with NT. The only multiplayer game I've really enjoyed with higher player counts is Team Fortress 2 which is also very teamwork-dependent.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

Re: The Heresy Thread

by asatiir » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:01 pm

Yakuza: I've only played the first game, but to be honest I didn't find any incentive to continue. I thought the first game was okay and didn't find it to be the "underrated gem" that I kept hearing it to be. By the time I was done with it, I pretty much forgotten the characters and the plot of the game.

Final Fantasy: This is a series that I found myself less and less interested in. I found myself more enjoying the offshoots rather than the mainline series (FFT series and Crisis Core being my personal favorites). I can appreciate certain things the series has defined for video games as a whole, but it's not a series for me. There are certain mainline games I like, but none I would consider highlights.

Halo: No matter how many times I try, I just can't get into it. I just don't understand what made this series a big deal.

Gravity Rush: Got shanked for this before, but this is one game that I got annoyed by more than enjoyed. It started great, but afterwards it got on my nerves. Traversal is great but I found the game world pretty lifeless and uninteresting.

3DS: I've only liked 3 or 4 games on it and didn't find any other games that grabbed my attention. It is a great system and all, but I just don't feel like it was made for me.
Previous