Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...

What would you most like to see from a new SquadCast and the Squad going forward?

In-depth discussion of a single game at a time, chosen by a cast member
8%
In-depth discussion of a single game at a time, chosen communally
23%
"Book club"-style playthrough of a single game, chosen by a Squad "elder", summed up in podcast form
8%
"Book club"-style playthrough of a single game, chosen communally, summed up in podcast form (old-school Squad)
23%
Streaming/video -- someone plays a game, others commentate and ask questions, archived online after the event
23%
Topic-based shows speaking more generally about a wider subject pertaining to gaming
8%
Genre-centric "primer" shows where cast members bring favourite examples to the table
8%
Something else (please give details!)
No votes

Total votes : 13
User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

Re: [POLL] SquadCast Topics and Types

by Raven2785 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:15 pm

Personally, my vote goes for the single game dives into a specific game. My favorite episodes are those exact ones and I feel the Squad would really miss a big thing of what makes it unique if we don't keep doing those at least every now and then.

However, I would not be opposed to taking Rampant Bycicle's idea of making a deep dive every now and then while also making smaller shows that can be easy to do on a regular basis. Although I liked the loooong episodes, due to the way I work in my job :) the one idea I was thinking about is bringing back "Squad Recommends" but doing it as a thread in the board where we just throw cool things that we like in there on a regular basis and pimping it out as a way to get more listeners in here (More people = more discussion after all)
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:40 pm

Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 00.39.24.png

God fucking dammit, I knew you lot would do this to me.

I think that probably confirms that Rampant's suggestion may be the best way to go, however. Thank you all for your feedback. Please continue to share your thoughts here.
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

by Teryn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:31 pm

Guess I'm very "mainstream" in my ideas, then. Yes, there are a lot of SHIT LPs out there, but the reason it would be different here is because, well... we Squadron mates would be doing it. That's what makes any kind of segment/thread/whatever interesting and relevant.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:33 pm

My take on it, I guess, is this:

If the Squad has a brand, it is a brand associated with doing deep-dive single focus analysis of quality, underappreciated games. For me, this means that we were on the right track with shows that focus on a specific game or a specific topic and really dig into the meat of the matter. Unlike flavor-of-the-week shows, this content is evergreen. You can boot up the Yakuza podcast and it will be just as relevant today as it was back then (if you subtract the 1 hour conversation about 'gee, isn't Fallout 3 awesome').

I would rather produce content along the lines of a Radiolab or a This American Life where we do these sorts of evergreen topics. As has been pointed out a few times, there are damn few people doing anything like this currently in the modern gaming space, and the Squad's voice was (and could be again) unique here. The question of length is relevant of course, though I'd be surprised if we were able to restrain ourselves to an hour at the best of times without pretty harsh editing anytime we get rolling.

I'm not opposed to other formats -- roundtable shows about what's making us happy this week or whatever, but they should be split off into a seperate category of show and filed accordingly. Maybe we only do 6 deep dives a year and other times we just touch base to talk about what's happening at the moment.

Something like the bombcast is a throwaway consumable. You download it, you chew it, you spit it out. A week later its content is no longer relevant in any meaningful way. I seriously believe that the primary reason that most content creators produce this kind of content is honestly just because [Lazy Journalism]. Whatcha Playing shows requrire little investment or deviation from what you're doing, so if what you are concerned about is quantity over quality it makes sense to just rolling comment on whatever the hell is hot right now. There's a site that I sometimes follow that for months has just been doing vlogs based on Adventure Time and The Legend of Korra. The presenters just sit on camera watching TV, talking about what they think of the latest episode without any post-production... it's boring and annoying. So obvious that all the hosts want to do is just watch Adventure Time for fun... but they have to also monetize video content weekly.. so.... Compare and contrast Todd in the Shadows who puts Squad levels of effort into each and every episode.

I guess what we are discussing is to what degree our media slider aught to be positioned -- is the Squad a book club or a social club or both, and if so do we produce shows for both?

Me, I have no problem comitting to allocating a small portion of my time towards the book club model. What makes the Squad different from everybody else is that we collectively play Nier or Katawa Shoujo and then discuss it... but (surprise) that formula requires actual effort as everyone needs to READ THE BOOK. Maybe I will like Nier, maybe I won't like Nier, but I'll give it a shot for the sake of art and the Squad and for expanding my horizons.

I think maybe the correct ratio is like... 2 video playalong podcasts where a knowledgable veteran introduces a newbie to a game in the style that Pete is describing with La-Mulana, 2 Squad Roundtable Discovery episodes to 1 deep dive show with the deep dive being ~ 2hrs and the other stuff being in the 1 hour mark.

That is, if we want to make broadcasting a hobby. It's a flexible format, we're experimenting.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:07 pm

That sounds like something we could make work, and has the potential to make everyone happy at least some of the time. I'd be for it.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:00 pm

I prefer the two-step process we used to do of playing through a single game and talking about it on the forum, then capping it off with a podcast. Everybody can't be on that podcast, but can participate in the discussion on the board.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:18 pm

RedSwirl wrote:I prefer the two-step process we used to do of playing through a single game and talking about it on the forum, then capping it off with a podcast. Everybody can't be on that podcast, but can participate in the discussion on the board.

I agree. This was really hard to pull off while we were on Wordpress and G+, but we should be able to do it now.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:39 pm

Calin Kim wrote:
RedSwirl wrote:I prefer the two-step process we used to do of playing through a single game and talking about it on the forum, then capping it off with a podcast. Everybody can't be on that podcast, but can participate in the discussion on the board.

I agree. This was really hard to pull off while we were on Wordpress and G+, but we should be able to do it now.

This would be classic Squad. Only trouble is actually getting people to DO that. It's sometimes feels like pulling teeth to get people to actually come over here and post, let alone sit down and play a game that maybe wasn't on their radar when there are a thousand other things out there to play.

I'd be more than happy to see this happen, but with the sheer number of games these days, this is a lot more difficult to convince people to engage with than it was back in the 1up days.
no avatar
User

CptCarnage

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:32 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Platformers, Action

Now Playing

AC4, Shovel Knight, Minecraft

by CptCarnage » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:03 pm

As a long time listener/lurker that has popped his head up on occasion I figured I'd put my 2 cents in. I loved the old format but as you said with time constraints its really not feasible except for the occasional show. My only issue with the old style was that if a game came up that I really had no interest in I rarely took the time to play/listen to the show.

I'm glad you are open to newer formats and you'll have an ear here :-). I like the idea of a videocast/discussion ala twitch that is later rebroadcast but the length of these shows would make it tricky and coordinating participation would also be difficult.
Previous