Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
no avatar
User

Something better

Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:50 am

Favorite Genres

RPG, Adventure, MMO, Strategy

Now Playing

FFXIV, Xenoblade, Majora's Mask

Re: Introductions & Reacquainting

by Something better » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:05 am

Hello!

Having had my application to join lost in spam bot hell I thought I'd say hi and also introduce as although loving EGM and then 1up I never posted and only ever lurked.

I'm from the UK, introduced to games through my Amstrad CPC and later the original gameboy where I spent far too much time playing Tetris and then Zelda, Links Awakening which I loved and got a huge buzz from finally beating (with no guides or internet! RAWR!) As I get older I still love the older games and especially RPGs, FFVI, Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger. Work now seriously curtails my game playing time and I have a growing collection of unplayed PS3 and Wii games (including ni no kuni & the last story) but I still love reading and talking about them. I've lived in Japan & America but back in the UK now and loving it!

Things I like:
Bad sci-fi (Buck Rogers, Babylon 5)
Friends and family
Popcorn at the cinema (sweet)
RPGs
MMOs
Sports of all kinds, but particularly athletics, football, basketball and gymnastics
I like punk rock and also classical music
Things being clean & people being polite!

Some things I don't like…
Corporation's
Cold calls
Angry drivers
False modesty
Rain
Social media
My football team languishing in the championship
Highlighted text
People with no patience

So that's me. This place looks fun and looking forward to getting to know people!
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:50 am

Welcome, newcomers! It's great to see some new blood in here, and with recent shitstorms elsewhere on social media it's our hope that this place will become a pleasant haven of calm in which to conduct suitably intellectual, chin-strokey games discussions.

Hope you have fun! Jump in and enjoy, and any feedback you have or bugs you spot, please report them in the Site Improvements forum.
User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

by Raven2785 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:09 am

Introductions... Right.

Ok, I am Raven278 (Bonus intangible internet fake points to whoever gets the reference) my real name is Luis, I live in New jersey in the US, I'll try to live up to the levels of rage of other squad members of the area, but expect me to fail. I am 29 years of age and I am currently working as a cook to make ends meet, I am single male which makes me part of that always coveted demographic publishers are always going for, my main method of entertainment has been videogames and wasting time in front of my PC (Most of it on Imgur, or 4chan) although I'll make time for some Netflix, some book reading (Don't get to excited, I'll read a book or two every six months to a year) and the occasional movie, no mater if it's independent film, or your big, fat, stupid, summer action blockbuster. I have also had the opportunity of getting together with some friends online to play some tabletop RPGs, WoD, Shadowrun, Dark Heresy, and Pathfinder to name a few, an activity which I've always wanted to do but was unable to do so due to a distinct lack of tabletop geeks in NJ, and I've liked it enough that I can tell I will keep doing it (As long as the crunch isn't too obtuse)

I am what you would call really new blood, my earliest gaming memories go back to the time by brother, not realizing the repercussions of the monstrosity he was creating at the time, got me a NES back in 95 (Yes, a NES, even amongst console owners I was a peasant) most of my friends were playing Super Nintendo or Sega genesis while I was stuck with Mario/Duck Hunt, Top Gun, a Rambo game and 8 other games I can't remember for the life of me right now, that changed when I got a Nintendo 64 and all of a sudden I was the cool kid in the block, moving things forward,didn't really start my gaming "Tenure" until the PS2 and I didn't even get a gaming PC until a few years ago when I dropped an Nvidia GT8500 onto my old crappy Windows XP tower that I recently replaced with a Windows 7 computer I finally built on my own.

I discovered the Squad a really long time ago, back in my PS2 days, being really bummed out that a beautifully crafted game like Okami was so unsuccessful it lead to the closure of Colver Studios, I took a chance on the episode you guys did in Okami and instantly fell in love with you, for lack of a better term, you guys "Got it" you understood it, which made me go back and check games that you both did other squadcasts on, or that you seemed interested on from the "Watcha Playing" segments, every single Squadcast remains with me to this day as a lovingly crafted love letter to the specific game you were on the rampage about on that day, and even though I haven't gotten the chance to play a lot of the games you've obviously loved (I know I need a PS4 to pick up Grim Fandango for example) I look forward to every episode you are trying or attempting to get off the ground.

I never joined in the past cause the truth is, I am a dumbass, got no shame in admitting it, but screw it, might as well interact and I'll try to not lower the overall IQ of the squad too much, I hope my expertise in things Japan can serve the squad in some shape or form (I have a distinct love of Visual Novels, being a Nasutard/Fatefag) Hopefully to the same level that both Angry Jedi and Shingro bring up to the cast, but that will remain to be seen, overall thanks for having me and hope we can have some good discussion on games we can all enjoy.
no avatar
User

AmuroRX79

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Favorite Genres

Jrpgs, Fast paced Arcadey Shooters, Visual Novels, Horror gamers, Crpgs

Now Playing

FF14, Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2, Trails of the Sky

by AmuroRX79 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi there all, glad to find this little oasis in the desert.

My name's AmuroRX79, as you can tell I'm a gundam fan and by association an anime fan too. Although my crazy anime-fandom has definitely died down over the years compared to when I was in college.

I'm 30 years old (yay just had my birthday 2 weeks ago) and I've been gaming since I was 5 when my folks first bought me a NES mario/duckhunt bundle. I quickly moved through the console ranks. I owned a genesis, a sega saturn, and psone, a dreamcast, a ps2, gamecube and then well everything else lol. I grew-up in the gamefaqs scene since its inception in 1996. I was first introduced to jrpgs through ff7, before that I never played rpg in my life. So you bet there are stupid posts out there of me exclaiming the greatness of ff7 and then being brought down a peg by older gamers who played ff6 first.

Over the years my interest in japanese games have always been there. Sometimes I took breaks along the way to become a huge pc gamer. Taught myself how to build a kickass gaming pc and got really into Quake 3, UT99, Diablo 2, and Starcraft. Because of that I have very odd gaming taste. I can enjoy a mindless shooter like most folks while at the same time freak out about some new fan translation of a Visual Novel. As a gamer i consider myself a cherry picker. I pick out what I think are the best from each genre. This of course makes me stand out a bit and find myself at odds with different gamers. I will defend your love for COD as much as I defend other people's love for eroge.

I guess what brought me here was the current oppressive climate thats happening between game journos and gamers. I'm seeing a bigger divide than ever before. Journos are constantly asking gamers to keep an open mind and look into supporting diverse games, but at the same time they seem to attack any game doesn't fit within their narrow world view of what is "right/moral". It's no longer about game diversity but more about supporting a particular agenda. Don't get me wrong I want more games created by a more diverse group of people. But once you start ascribing morality to artistic expression then things start to go horribly wrong. You don't have to like what i like, but you don't have to tell me i'm horrible person for liking what I like.

I'm looking for people who truly care about gaming and really believe in true open expression of thought in video games.

I'm glad I'm here...
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Welcome, newcomers! We're very happy to have you here, and I'm sure you'll find plenty of common ground with a lot of the people here. We're a pretty diverse bunch -- both in terms of who we are and what we like -- and we have some great discussions.
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

by Teryn » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:54 pm

AmuroRX79 wrote:Hi there all, glad to find this little oasis in the desert.

Oasis, indeed. I joined a month or two ago and have been having a great time. Glad to have you and everyone else on board, too!
User

mrgilder

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:07 am

Pennsylvania, USA

Real Name

Chris C.

Favorite Genres

RPG, "Hunting" RPGs, Action, Platformers,

Now Playing

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1, Bayonetta 2, Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - Curtain Call, Xenoblade

by mrgilder » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:31 pm

Shingro wrote:
I'm the sort of guy who will play something like Mugen Souls without blinking or show Monster monpiece to a new acquaintance. I tend to think sexuality in a healthy part of video games as an artistic medium, and that exploring the boundaries of what is acceptable in a safe space is tremendously helpful to us as human beings. I sort of recognize I'm in a small, strange camp, but it's my comfortable camp. I used to love discussing that sort of thing, and probably still do, but the conversation around sex in games feels like it's become more ideological then inquisitive these days so perhaps that's unfair to say. Used to be upset, now not so much.

I'm going to be adding you as a friend simply based on this statement. I couldn't agree more. I'm mrgilder. Happy to make your acquaintance!
Check out my artwork on tumblr or deviantart.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi, I'm Calin Kim. Some of you may remember me from such Squadcasts as Nier, Spec Ops: The Line, or The Erotic Adventures of Hercules. (Last one may not be a real podcast.)

I know that most of you know me already, but we have a few new people, so I may as well tell you my bit. I joined up with the Squad in 2008 or thereabouts, and we've been inseparable ever since. Or, at least, you all seem to tolerate me.

Fun fact: there is a secret Squadcast in which, when I was first joining up, I interview everyone in the squad and talk about critical praxis and how everyone got interested in discussing games the same way academics talk about books and film. I don't know if it's been lost to the ages or if it still exists in some form, but due to technical difficulties Mark's audio stream was shattered into about 1000 separate fragments that I couldn't stitch back together. I ended up using the individual pieces of audio to stitch together something approximating what he actually said. It was quite the ordeal.

I'm mostly interested in applying literary (and film/stage) theory and criticism to games and thinking about how narratology and ludology affect our understandings and appreciations of the games that we play. As a result, my primary interests are kind of all over the place. I love playing RPGs, but I will play a game of any genre if it's attempting something unique. I love 16-bit games, especially those on the Genesis (Megadrive, sorry Pete), and I'm getting a lot out of indie games on PC at the moment.

For an idea of my tastes, here's a set of bizarre comparisons in which I choose a favorite.

Phantasy Star II> Phantasy Star IV
Final Fantasy VIII> Final Fantasy VII
Ico> Shadow of the Colossus
Gilmore Girls> Breaking Bad
Pork> Beef
no avatar
User

Elanzer

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:05 pm

United Kingdom

Favorite Genres

Grand strategy, Tactics, Role-playing, Shooters

by Elanzer » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:22 pm

Hello, I'm Elanzer. I'm 26, from the UK.

I've been playing games since I got an NES dropped on my head at the age of 3, but pretty quickly graduated to PC gaming where I primarily remain aside from a handful of token console-exclusives per generation. I play quite a wide variety of genres and am always looking to sample something new or interesting, though if I had to narrow myself to particular areas of expertise that I'm almost always involved in (and some favourite series of recent times) then they would be real-time and turn-based tactics (XCOM, Wargame), grand strategy (Total War, Crusader Kings), role-playing (Persona, Witcher, Demon's/Dark Souls), and various styles of some of the less-casual shooters (Arma, Red Orchestra, Metro). Pretty plebian by the squads standards, I know, but if it's worth anything I'm also quite heavily invested in the technical side of games and the hardware that runs them. Areas of aversion would include competitive multiplayer, MMOs, and mobile/handheld games in general.

I first discovered the Squad relatively recently, early in 2012 after the release of a certain highly-anticipated visual novel that left my usual gaming company either depressed wrecks incapable of conversation or looking at me with a mix of disgust and disinterest. A link left by Pete on the official forums directed me to the Squadcast, and I've been attentively lurking the Squad's hideouts (and all prior casts) since.

Roll on two and a half years/changes of sites later and recent events in mainstream gaming media have left me feeling increasingly marginalised from the communities surrounding them, finally pushing me to take the plunge and join the ranks officially. I'm probably not quite as inclined to be introspective and chin-strokey as the rest of you, a big reason for why I hadn't signed up yet, but hopefully I can do my best to contribute around here in other ways.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank all the regulars for their efforts with the Squadcast over the years, and congratulate those responsible on the fancy new site. If you guys had stuck with Google+ or moved over to Facebook or whatever the other proposals were, I probably wouldn't be here.
Last edited by Elanzer on Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:43 am

Elanzer, welcome! A bloke after my own heart with those games of interest listed!

Nice to meet another Wargame fan!
PreviousNext