Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...

Starting a Retro Collection

User

Rory Taylor

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Favorite Genres

Fighting, FPS, RPG, Action Adventure

Now Playing

Ultra SF4, Shovel Knight, Call of Juarez Gunslinger, Sniper Elite III

Starting a Retro Collection

by Rory Taylor » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:50 pm

It seems nostalgia has been tugging at my heart strings as of late, and I've been seriously considering starting a Super Famicom collection. Which is ironic since I live in the U.S. and have never seen much less played a Super Famicom before. I guess I'm just longing for the times when games looked like games, not as close as technically possible to real life. Shovel Knight has scratched that itch some, and I know there are many other games like that, but I want the genuine article. I most certainly would not find this at a thrift store, but I was thinking of checking a local swap meet or the usual online channels. This feels like a dangerous endeavor since the scarcity of games would probably make this rather expensive. Maybe a SNES collection would be the "easy way to go", or heaven forbid, emulating the games on my PC. Complicating matters is the fact that I don't read a lick of Japanese.

What about you all? Does anyone have a cool collection of rare games? Am I crazy for wanting to do this?
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

Re: Starting a Retro Collection

by Teryn » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:59 am

Perhaps what you need is retro-alikes, games like Hammerfall and VVVVVV really have a good retro feel. GOG.com is also an excellent place to go for older DOS or Windows games, though I've also tried Abandonia if I'm willing to tweak programs to work by myself.

If you're worried about the effort it would take to maintain or build a collection, it may be easier to work with software that's already available online. Sorry I can't speak from personal experience in collecting.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Play La-Mulana. -__-
User

BusyZombieLord

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Maine

Real Name

Lou

Favorite Genres

RPG, Adventure, and Story Driven

Now Playing

Secret of Mana, Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition for PS3, Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon for PS2

by BusyZombieLord » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:40 am

I used to collect when I was younger and had more disposable income. It can get expensive if you don't know what you are looking for or have a goal. Right now the NES and SNES market is not worth investing in unless you have lots of money. I have heard prices are falling but not fast. Should you decide to try collecting those don't bother with online retailers. Go to your local used movie or music store. Lots have bins for older games places like Gamestop doesn't take anymore. Also try flea markets and yard sales. I have had some of my best findings at flea markets.

At the moment I have been just collecting jrpgs for PS and PS2 along with some weird survival horror games. My local used music store has gotten lots of them in trade the past few months. I walked away with copy of Dai Senryaku VII for 3 bucks. Weird obscure strategy game for PS2. It really does help to have an idea baout what type of games you want or even better a list of titles.

Also I suggest looking up videos for a series of panels called Retrogame Roadshow. They are done by Chris Kohler over at Wired. He is a huge game collector and puts together panels at both PAX Prime and East where his panel of experts give values on various hard to find games and peripherals. Even if your not a collector they are fun panels to watch. People drag out some of the craziest stuff. At the most recent PAX he also did a panel on how to collect and not get screwed. All of it was streamed on Twitch so I got to watch them from home. I know he was going to post them up somewhere.

Hope all that helps
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:47 pm

Zombie, you just reminded me that I was going to trot out the idea of having a Squad Lending Library.

I have a giant pile of about 80 XBOX 360 games on my kitchen table right now. It's looking like either a) Sell back to GameStop or b) Somehow find a way to give back to the community and make it useful. This is true of PS3, PS2, Wii, Gamecube etc. Just giant shelves in my attic, full of all the games worth playing on each system, things that I'd happily let you all borrow if you just wanted to play games.

Anybody ever seen something like an online service that would handle the legwork of maintaining a lending library? Just so that we can track who has what at the moment?