Here we investigate the overlooked, the underappreciated, the Shameworthy titles of the world. Jump in to an existing mission thread and give your thoughts, or start your own to kick off a discussion.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: Unsung and under appreciated: PS Vita

by Angry Jedi » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:05 am

Belated response to this: I'm so happy that Jeff Minter is still making games, and that he's getting the opportunity to do so on platforms other than mobile. While his iOS games are all pretty great, reading his Twitter regularly makes it abundantly clear that he finds the mobile marketplace to be extremely frustrating, what with the whole "race to the bottom" thing going on, and the fact that horrible, horrible microtransactions are now the norm rather than the exception.

A platform like Vita is where Minter belongs. Now if he'd only hurry up and remake Attack of the Mutant Camels for it. Hell, I'd take a straight port of the Atari version, which was already beautiful.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Not that I'm any real judge of things, but TxK is the only game I've given a perfect score to.

We're getting a Vita port of that curiously excellent Forget-me-not iOS thing, apparently - like most Vita ports - it'll be the definitive version. More info on the maker's blog.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:10 pm

I picked up a Vita for my wife while she was in the hospital, and she's really taken to it.

She is a bit more AAA oriented than most of the people here, but she's found a lot to like. She loves the Uncharted and Assassin's Creed games that came out for it. I also had to pry Killzone out of her hand one day because a nurse came in and wanted to talk to her.

Thumbs up for the Vita from me!

(Also, selfishly, I can finally play Innocent Sin with an official English translation, so that's not too shabby either.)
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:21 pm

Welcome aboard the Vita train, Calin and Mrs. Calin. It's a sprightly little beast with a back catalog to expire for.

One day, the heavens will part, and there upon the PSN Store, a copy of the PSone game 'Brahma Force: Assault on Beltlogger 9' will be staring at me. And that minute deficit that niggles like an urchin's spike will be rectified.

Until that day, there's only hundreds of titles spread across three hardware platforms and even more if we're counting software infrastructures to play.
User

mrgilder

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:07 am

Pennsylvania, USA

Real Name

Chris C.

Favorite Genres

RPG, "Hunting" RPGs, Action, Platformers,

Now Playing

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1, Bayonetta 2, Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - Curtain Call, Xenoblade

by mrgilder » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:48 pm

I feel like this thread is an appropriate place to bring up Ragnarok Odyssey Ace (ROA), which I am currently enjoying the hell out of - but nobody else in the universe seems to care about and/or like. The game is also available on the PS3 with cross-play, but it's very clear that the Vita is its native platform. Ace is an upgraded, content-enriched version of Ragnarok Odyssey, much in the same vein as the "G" or "Ultimate" entries of the Monster Hunter franchise. Is it clunky and flawed? Yes. Does it have some really interesting ideas in spite of those warts? Yes. Do those ideas make it fun and worth playing? Absolutely. :D

Many have dubbed the Ragnarok Odyssey games as less-than-successful entries in the giant boss-enemy "Hunting" RPG genre that Monster Hunter (MH) helped birth, but this comparison leads folks to evaluate the games' differences from Capcom's landmark series as failures to be, which is simply unfair. ROA is a far lighter game than Monster Hunter. Combat is faster, less technical, and lacks the deliberate sense of weight that define's MH. Setting aside the presence of the colossal boss monsters, ROA mechanically bears a much stronger resemblance to a 3rd person adaptation of a Diablo style game - not unlike the earliest versions of Sega's Phantasy Star Online. Though weapons and armor are crafted and upgraded using components, these pieces are gained by much more liberally given drops than MH's system of stingier carves. Weapons can be found with unique stats and abilities - they don't have to be made. ROA doesn't place a huge emphasis on materials management. Potions are simply purchased rather than synthesized. Little prep is needed before engaging in a quest. It's a breezier approach that isn't better or worse . . . it's simply different. ROA is a game I can play when I'm stressed out and need to chill - and although my love for MH is boundless, I can't say the same thing about that franchise

What really has me hooked about ROA though, is the Halomonas weapons. Unlike regular weapons that you find dropped from enemies. Halomonas weapons can be evolved and customized. MH's weapons can be upgraded with components and funds along branching paths - but the choices are limited. ROA's Halomonas weapons involve much more choice. Instead of paying a fee and ponying up a number of items out of your inventory to upgrade, Halomonas weapons require the completion of "Made to Orders." These Orders can certainly consist of providing certain prescribed items, but they can also take the form of individual quests that require you to slay X amount of enemies. The act of upgrading your weapons actually generates additional gameplay. Furthermore, each weapon's upgrade tiers only allow you to complete a certain number of "made to orders" out of a list. Each order will provide a stat boost, or add a new ability to that weapon - but you have to pass some up. As a result, we both may have the same exact Halomonas bow, but I favored a string of attack stat boosts, but you chose to add a poison arrow ability while sacrificing raw power. The same items, customized two different ways. Halomonas weapons are a really cool system, and it bugs me that so few people are talking about them, or the game that they're in.

Games like ROA, that lack AAA polish, but are filled with interesting ideas seem to have found a ready home on the Vita. It's for this reason that I have fallen in love with the platform. I may not own as many games for the system as I do for other platforms - but every one of them is profoundly interesting - even the ones that I don't consider particularly good.
Check out my artwork on tumblr or deviantart.
Previous