Here we investigate the overlooked, the underappreciated, the Shameworthy titles of the world. Jump in to an existing mission thread and give your thoughts, or start your own to kick off a discussion.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: The Top 10 Visual Novels

by Angry Jedi » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:05 pm

I love the 16-colour Super VGA look. It's delightfully crisp, and it's one of those instances where technical limitations bred a great deal of creativity to get around it.

I forget; who here is familiar with VA-11 HALL-A? That's developed by a couple of South American dudes, but it's very, very, very anime-inspired, and its visuals are strongly reminiscent of the old PC-98 games. I wrote a bit about it here a while back.

User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:31 pm

Man if I could get Patlabor 2 as a VN or adventure game...

I know someone on my twitter timeline (I think it was Leigh Alexander) started making posts about old VNs and PC-9801 games they'd uncovered. I think she'd found some kind of archive of ones that had been released in English or translated by fans into English. Maybe that era is what I should take a look at.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:59 pm

Yeah, there's some decent ones from that era, even a few "classics". Unfortunately the translations of stuff from that era tend to be suuuuper-shaky, so be prepared for some decidedly rough text. In most cases, the quality of the story shines through despite the hack-job on the localisation, but be prepared for that. Modern stuff is much better in that regard.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Pretty keen to try out YU-NO: The Girl That Chants Love at the Edge of the World, either the remake or the original.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:37 pm

Muv Luv Kickstarter is live at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mu ... vel-series

You want to see more high-profile, well-regarded visual novels get localised? Do the right thing! :)
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Lynette was saying that this morning. My off-the-cuff reply was "Oh? Has anyone actually given them any money yet?" to which Lynette replied "Yeah, $400,000".

That's a lot of supa hackas. Pete, I don't think you have to complain about VNs not getting enough love anymore.

Also, Moe Military is a thing?
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:07 pm

Yes, Moe Military is absolutely I thing. I guess Hetalia is sort of on the boundary of that sort of thing from the bishounen angle, but it's probably best exemplified by KanColle, which features anthropomorphic versions of Japanese warships. As cute girls. Obviously.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:10 pm

Gunslinger Girl seems to go pretty hard on the moe military thing as well.
User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

by Raven2785 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Don't forget Girls Und Panzer

Now, in order to move on from all this talk of Military Moe, I guess it falls upon me, the Nasuverse fan, to sell you on Fate/Stay Night, or FSN for short.

FSN chronicles the 2 weeks of a death tournament between sorcerers known as the Holy Grail War, the objective of such tournament is to chose who will be given the rights to the holy grail, which is not the actual holy grail, but it is called such because it is an object of such magical power that it would allow you to go beyond what regular magic can go and into the territory of miracles, and as such, the grail itself chooses 7 masters by branding them with command spells allowing them to call upon a servant, who at first glance seem to be simple magical familiars, but instead are reincarnations of ancient heroes and legends from across time and space. So basically you could end up drawing Achilles in the magic lottery and playing him like a pokemon card against someone elses ancient hero. To the death.

And Shirou Emiya, amateur magus and average high school student, becomes involved in the war due to a combination of both being in the wrong place at the wrong time and his own desire to continue his fathers dream, a dream that he has taken as his own and that dream is to be a Hero of Justice. and people in universe treat it as ridiculous as it sounds, most of them either taking advantage of him because of it or mocking him relentlessly.

The series itself has gained tremendous popularity in Japan where it has enjoyeda lot of adaptations into both anime and manga as well as plenty of spinoffs in anime, manga and videogame form. as evidenced by your reddit top 10 list it also has a gained quite a fanbase overe here in the west as well, where people know it better as an anime due to the fact that it's not comercially licensed to be sold in the US so a patched torrent or importing the VN and applying the fan patch are you only options so far.

The VN itself is very long (in-game clock of my on trip into FSN clocked me at 2 days and 10-something hours) and it's set up in such a way where you have to read one route in it's entirety before moving into the next route, and read that one to get into the last route, The author has stated that this was done in order to explore Shirou's ideal of being a hero of justice as he progresses thru each route, the first route (Fate) being where Shirou holds on to his ideal of becoming a hero, the second route (Unlimited Blade Works) where Shirou has to struggle to hold onto his ideal in the face of reality, and Heavens Feel (Third Route) where Shirou has to choose between the his hero dream and reality

The sincere biggest problem that FSN has is the writing, the world is interesting, the characters are nuanced and deep, whether they are servants or masters, and the story is a good mix of both your typical anime tropes (Let's just say Shirou has enough stubborness and determination to give Goku pause) and urban fantasy (Everything has to remain hidden from the public eye, lots of normal people die in "mysterious gas line accidents", etc) but the writing is.... let's just say Kinoko Nasu needs an editor, if he has one, he needs another one on top of this one, his pacing is weird, at times moving fast and others sitting us down for hours while a character provides exposition, his prose is so purple I once saw someone describe it as "practically grape flavored", and he overexplains too much (it's not rare to see the same explanation happen later in the VN, with just a few words swapped here and there) At his best, he can draw you in and tell you an interesting (if long) tale, at his worst? Well... See for yourself. Avoid the sex scenes unless you want to laugh your ass off, if anything of this seems like too much for you I would turn your towards Fate Zero The anime prequel to FSN and to the recent FSN adaptation by Ufotable which takes the Unlimited Blade Works route straight up unlike the old anime adaptation that tried to bled all 3 routes turning it into a hard to follow mess.

It's also worth noting that FSN is part of an extended universe of work the fans refer to as Nasuverse, many of Type Moon works take place in the same universe like Tsukihime (Vampire story) Mahou Tsukai No Yoru (Shortened to Mahoyo, sorta prequel to Tsukihime) and DDD (Deals with demons in the setting)

This is what you need to know if you're willing to brave the murky waters of Nasuland, Personally I like Tsukihime more than I do fate, but Tsukihime is old, old enough that people who where born in the year it was released are probably bumping uglies right now, remake is in the works though.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:10 pm

I could probably get interested in some Snatcher or Policenauts-esque VNs. Like I said earlier, a big appeal point for me would probably be the artwork. It's the same reason I'm kind of prickly when choosing manga.
PreviousNext