Here we investigate the overlooked, the underappreciated, the Shameworthy titles of the world. Jump in to an existing mission thread and give your thoughts, or start your own to kick off a discussion.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Ukranian Fallout

by RedSwirl » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:56 pm

I would like to assume the Squad did a classic mission on this game long ago, but I don't actually know. I don't see any mention of it on this particular forum.

In any case. I've begun the game, finally. I found some time to get it done with nothing new on my plate until PC GTA V at the end of the month. I particularly wanted to get down to this one because of its reputation as a great modern immersive simulator RPG/shooter based on player freedom.

As of this opening post I'm only maybe an hour and a couple missions in, but it seems to be about what I expected: ambitious, immersive, dangerous, exactly the kind of PC game westerners used to make years ago but made today, and incredibly rough. I'm playing it totally vanilla save for the unofficial bug fix patch/mod Zone Reclamation Project.

The only thing that caught me slightly off-guard is the apparent structure of the world map. I thought it would be some open-world thing when it is in fact zoned-in areas and isolated roads. Nonetheless the sense of free-form environments is intact. This probably let's that environment design be more focused anyway.

I have a seeping feeling this game could eventually get triple-digit hours out of me if I let it. Almost every slav game I've played so far has managed to do that.
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Ukranian Fallout

by Bowley » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:52 pm

There was never a formal mission, though a few of us have carried the depressing, irradiated torch. I'm actually surprised it took you this long to get around to the Zone, what with all your traipsing around Day Z and ArmA. The austerity of the atmosphere being served up in STALKER shouldn't be much of a transition for you.

By the way, you've probably already figured out that death comes swiftly, save and save often. Also, a bottle of vodka can serve as a light radiation reducer (because, Ukraine) until you find some better meds or one of those sweet radiation reducing artifacts.

Good luck finding Strelok. Get out of here, Stalker... etc etc
User

RedSwirl

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:18 pm

I...

Jesus Christ.

I wanna be succinct here because I'm saving detailed impressions for after I finish the main game, but let's just say I've gone through shit, and had some misaligned expectations going in.

I guess one of the main things I can say is that the combat is unexpectedly tactical and raw. I feel like they maybe got a nice medium between the one-hand-and-you're-dead original Ghost Recon and modern games. Bullets hurt in this game, and that makes every combat or stealth situation intense. I'm checking every corner when I explore, leaning, flanking, trying to get angles. And I just can't put my finger on what it is about the AI in this game. I've been able to draw enemies out of hiding by retreating for a bit. After one gun battle I checked the inside of a trailer out of some tactical instinct, consciously thinking there's no way the AI would have the wherewithal to take cover all the way in here, only to find that a motherfucker did in fact hide in there. And different things happen every time I load a save. I tried to shoot these two guys across a bridge but was too far away. I reloaded the save and this time after I drew their attention a bunch of mutants came up on them from behind. Said mutants got into a fight with a pack of dogs which allowed me to sneak by.

Anyway, I just escaped from the lab. Good God man.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:26 pm

Good old STALKER. The world lives and breathes. I don't think I've found a more compelling place to just wander about and watch things unfold.

And those labs. Good heavens. Yeah.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:19 pm

Dammit everyone. Stop making me want to play a game I clearly don't have time for.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:57 pm

Calin Kim wrote:Dammit everyone. Stop making me want to play a game I clearly don't have time for.

Go on. Do it! Doooo eeeeiiit!
User

RedSwirl

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:46 pm

Okay, so I thought there was just gonna be one stupidly scary lab. Now I find out they're dispersed throughout the game like Zelda dungeons. That's just great.

I just started trying to figure out the game's economy. I actually made it past the second lab without really trading or buying anything from anyone. And staying within my suit's weight limit has actually been tougher than acquiring resources. I expected the opposite to be the case.

In any case, I found Sterlok and am headed to the Red Forest (I believe) now.
no avatar
User

Elanzer

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:05 pm

United Kingdom

Favorite Genres

Grand strategy, Tactics, Role-playing, Shooters

by Elanzer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:26 am

Good luck, you'll need it for the Brain Scorcher.
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:10 pm

RedSwirl wrote:I just started trying to figure out the game's economy. I actually made it past the second lab without really trading or buying anything from anyone. And staying within my suit's weight limit has actually been tougher than acquiring resources. I expected the opposite to be the case.

Yeah, you only really suffer scarcity in the beginning of the game. Like most of these games, especially if you're the hoarding type of player that doesn't use the good shit for fear of needing it later, you'll have more stuff than you know what to do with by the end. 35 orange medic kits, 15 blue ones, 10 yellow ones, 20 cans of food, 20 bandages, smooth grenades, pineapple grenades, boxes and boxes of assorted ammo, 3 different pistols, 2 rifles (Hopefully you find the Vintar), and a shotgun in a pear tree.

Even Call of Pripyat WITH the Misery Mod, I still had a surplus of inventory junk.

RedSwirl wrote:In any case, I found Sterlok

Oh? Are you sure about that????
User

RedSwirl

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:06 pm

Just stepped into Chernobyl. I should have called this thread "Ukranian System Shock."
Next