Here we investigate the overlooked, the underappreciated, the Shameworthy titles of the world. Jump in to an existing mission thread and give your thoughts, or start your own to kick off a discussion.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: Saul to Paul & Fantasy Damascus - Divinity: Original Sin

by Alex Connolly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:03 am

A.I Impaired wrote:Everything I have heard about divinity seems like it is the deep RPg experience that I know I don't have time to really get into but will glance longingly at until such a day as I will tear through it irreparably. Love the idea of coop, sounds great, but it is actually hard for me to organize a session. Don't quite understand why it so rarely happens, but people I know keep buying coop games but we never end up playing them. Weird.

Yeah, absolutely. It's fine for young highschool or college kids, but unless you've got a very flexible regime, this co-op business is a hen's tooth in terms of coming to fruition. Everyone high on Evolve and Destiny? Well, that's great, but unless solo'ing, I foresee a lot of high-minded "let's make this THE go-to game", have a session or two, then never quite find the time again.

At least, from someone who lives in an opposite time zone to most here, I can't factor in regular co-op, and it seems many others can't, either.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:39 am

Alex Connolly wrote:Yeah, absolutely. It's fine for young highschool or college kids, but unless you've got a very flexible regime, this co-op business is a hen's tooth in terms of coming to fruition. Everyone high on Evolve and Destiny? Well, that's great, but unless solo'ing, I foresee a lot of high-minded "let's make this THE go-to game", have a session or two, then never quite find the time again.

At least, from someone who lives in an opposite time zone to most here, I can't factor in regular co-op, and it seems many others can't, either.

A little off-topic here, but this is where I'm finding an MMO is proving its worth. Because it's less reliant on everything being co-op and what cooperative content there is is split into short, digestible chunks that are no more than an hour or so each tops (unless things go horribly wrong, or unless you're challenging the most difficult content repeatedly until you beat it) it's a lot easier to either jump into something with someone else, or even to organise a session with someone. I play FFXIV a lot, as you know, and there's usually enough people online to gather a four-player party of people I know for the basic dungeons. Later in the evening (for me), it's reasonably easy to gather eight people for the harder challenges as more of the Americans come online. And, because said dungeons and boss fights are understood to be of a certain length -- there's actually a generous hard cap on how long you can spend on a single attempt, though it's rare to come anywhere near -- it's also easy to "schedule" a session with people who don't play quite so often.

In this way, MMOs, often considered to be a big timesink (which they can be, no doubt about that!) are actually a lot more friendly to casual co-op play than a game that has been entirely built on the premise of cooperative play.

The idea of playing Divinity through entirely cooperatively appeals immensely to me, but 1) I don't know who I'd do it with and 2) I have a feeling that would make the game take approximately three years to beat.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:12 pm

Enlightening stuff right there, Pete. I certainly wouldn't have considered the MMO a worthy alternative to the dedicated co-op game, had it not been for the above pitch.

Still don't like to game on with the peasantry much any more, save for a few specific games here and there. Scheduling is just too hard - even for a rendezvous with blokes an hour ahead in Oz.

A wife that doesn't agree or care for gaming doesn't help, so I do have to pick my times/battles.

This got off-topic wonderfully!
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:03 pm

Ok, so I got the GOG version so I could share it among friends. I couldn't resist the temptation of this game though I realize I likely won't beat it for years.

First impressions are very favourable!
There seems to be an element of virtue development and moral reasoning that harkens back to the Ultima series. I like seeing living consequences when you perform immoral acts, even when they are regular video game things we have taken for granted. The interface looks familiar and intuitive for the most part. There is a lot to keep track of and learn though, so I will have to see if it keeps up. The combat is a nice balance of quick turn based gameplay, strategic but not exhaustive.

The aesthetic is perhaps familiar, and not too distinctive. While I like fantasy, I often like twists on the well tread visual trademarks. All said it is colourful. Observing From the isometric perspective, and checking the ui, you would be forgiven for mistaking it for a slightly brighter diablo 3. But the details ....ooooh the details. Again ultima comes to mind. The world is littered with useless crap that let you do mundane things as in real life. Just like in ultima vii I imagine if you gather the ingredients for bread, you can make bread. In a post minecraft world this is perhaps less mind blowing, but is a cool piece of immersion none the less. It's more closely trying to approximate the detail and story branching of pen and paper RPGs, and I like it. I am quite interested in toying with the editor too in order to fulfill my DM fantasies.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:46 pm

Been pondering this today. I am interested in playing it, but I kind of want to do so as a long-term project with someone else, playing through the whole thing co-op. While it will potentially take years to get through that way, I can't help but feel it will be a wonderfully unique experience.

Is anyone interested? I know my time zone potentially makes things difficult for a lot of you, but I'm pretty sure we could make it work somehow -- it will probably involve actually scheduling sessions a la an actual social occasion, rather than a "jump-in, jump-out" affair.
no avatar
User

Feenwager

Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:06 pm

Favorite Genres

Games

Now Playing

Games

by Feenwager » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:40 pm

I love the crap out of this game.

Also, yay...I finally joined.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:28 pm

Feenwager wrote:I love the crap out of this game.

Also, yay...I finally joined.

'Bout time! Now where's Pishu?
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:59 pm

Once I get a proper non broken laptop, I'll be flexible enough timing wise to accommodate more multiplayer. I have the hope this may work out for me this time. Sometime in September I believe I will aquire the hardware. Time zone insanity aside, when are people available. Maybe one drunk night at 3am I may just want some role playing. Who knows?
Previous